Italian spellcheck

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Italian spellcheck

Postby sansisto » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

The other day, I was happily using my Italian spellcheck. Yesterday, when I opened OO, my Italian spellcheck was gone. I've been trying to download it again, but it just doesn't work. Although everywhere you'd want to see the name of a language says Italian, it doesn't work. And I think my English spellcheck is gone now, too.

Can someone please help me? Can someone tell me how to download these two spellchecks without having them disappear without warning again someday? (This isn't the first time this has happened to me and you can understand if I'm getting a little tired of it.)

Thank you.
OpenOffice 3.1 on windows Vista
sansisto

Re: Italian spellcheck

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Have you tried to reset your OpenOffice user profile?

If no change, then follow this topic: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) and on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby sansisto » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Neither of these two things did anything to help me.
I tried again to download the Italian spellcheck 4.1.3, since the 4.1.5 doesn't work at all.
Now I've got the Italian OO, that shows me stuff like Documento di testo and Foglio elettronico. And I still don't have an Italian spellcheck.
I DON'T WANT AN ITALIAN OO. I WANT AN ENGLISH OO WITH AN ITALIAN SPELLCHECK AND AN ENGLISH SPELLCHECK.
Why do I have this problem twice a year? How can I fix it forever??????
sansisto

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm

When you reset your OpenOffice user profile were you prompted for your name and initials on next start of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 pm

You've downloaded the install file in Italian.
Either reinstall the English one (preferred method IMHO) or download the English language pack, install it and change the interface language in the Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages (well, in Italian of course).

Have found this extension for Italian that should be fine: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... n-patterns
AOO 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) and on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby sansisto » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I just tried it again. I downloaded the English OO. I got the English OO with the English spellcheck. Then I tried to download the Italian spellcheck.

I clicked on Download language pack, Italian. Now I've got the Italian OO with the English spell check and no Italian spellcheck.

What is going on? What is wrong with OO? I'm getting tired of this. How many times do I have to go through this???
sansisto

Postby sansisto » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Hagar Delest--I just tried your link. I got as far as seeing three choices: Disable, Remove, and Add. I don't want to disable it. I don't want to remove it. If I click on Add, it asks me for the name of the file. What file? What name? What you gave me to use is not something to download the Italian spellcheck, is it?
sansisto

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 pm

I suggest that you open Help in Writer, select Index and search for spellcheck;default languages. Read the sections "Adding More Text Languages" and "Adding More UI Languages". It sounds like you're downloading a language pack for the UI language instead of a dictionary for Spellcheck.
AOO 4.1.5 on 64-bit Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

sansisto wrote:I clicked on Download language pack, Italian. Now I've got the Italian OO with the English spell check and no Italian spellcheck.

Of course. You should install an extension like the one I linked. It is a .oxt file that will install the dictionary.
You can remove the Italian language pack.
Hagar Delest

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting