Files corrupt after crash

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
caupwhiting

Files corrupt after crash

Post by caupwhiting »

My laptop crashed and I lost everything. Used recuva today and was able to recover a lot of files, but not all. Now I am having trouble reading the documents which are supposed to be good. They are word and excel files. When I try to open a doc file, I get a page of characters, but nothing I can read. Does this mean there is nothing to restore, even though recuva says they are good?
openOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Re: Files corrupt after crash

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you see pound signs (###) when opening the files?
If so, not much to be done if Recuva did not recover enough data.

You can try with someone having MS Office, just in case.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When I try to open a doc file, I get a page of characters, but nothing I can read. Does this mean there is nothing to restore, even though recuva says they are good?
Yes, I think so.
If you have not some backup copies on an another media (Cloud, Thumbdrive, CD/DVD, another PC, etc...) then there is no hope to restore them.
They are word and excel files.
Are those files binary .doc and .xls type files? Always use the native, International standard XML based ODF fileformats. You can restore them (in some cases) manually: by editing the XML contents of the ZIP type archives of the ODF files.

...And always make backup copies of your important documents onto various media.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could upload a sample file and we will check if there is any data; I don't hold out much hope.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when last saved with AutoRecovery. You may also find now deleted previous versions of the file in the folder it is located.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.