[Solved] No dictionary present in OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] No dictionary present in OpenOffice

Postby caerbryn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 pm

I am using ApacheOpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista.

It appears to have lost its Dictionary, so that all words, in all my documents, are now underlined in red, unless I have entered them in the user-defined dictionary.

In Tools/Options/Language Settings/Languages, the drop down box under “Default language for documents, Western”, is showing “English(UK). The tick-box labelled “For the current document only” is unticked.

How can I get the dictionary to function again?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.3.X on MS Windows Vista + Windows 98SE
caerbryn

Re: No dictionary present in OpenOffice

Postby thomasjk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Review the troubleshooting viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512
Tom K.
Windows 7 Home Premium
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3
thomasjk

Postby caerbryn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 am

That tutorial is too complicated for me to understand. The on-line Extensions page does not even list an English (uk) version, and even if it did, the tutorial does not explain where to download it to. My Open Office has been working properly for several years, so why did the dictionary suddenly disappear in the last few days? If I need a .oxt file, presumably that file was there until now. Where should it be?

I have done a Windows Search for all.oxt files, and it has found dict-en.oxt in folder install (C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org3\Share\Extensions), showing it was created on 23Jul12 However, when I go to Tools/Extension Manager and try to "Add" that file, I get an error message informing me that it is not available.

I notice another user has suddenly encountered the same problem. There would appear to be a glitch in ApacheOpenOffice3.

Any chance of a simple explanation of why the dictionary has suddenly disappeared, where we can find the replacement file on the openoffice website, and simple steps to repair our software?

Or would it be simpler, for those of us who do not understand computers, to simply uninstall openoffice, download it again, and re-install it? Would this create more problems, if we have customised bits of openoffice?

Incidentally, openoffice has yet again gone into its OpenOffice.org Writer (Not responding) mode, so for the third time today, probably twentieth time this week, I shall have to restart my computer, yet again.
caerbryn

Postby thomasjk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 am

I don't know why you feel the tutorial is too complicated. Each step has to be reviewed. Any one step could be the cause of your problem. The only other suggestion I can make is to reset the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426.

All dictionaries are supplied as extensions. I believe that English UK is included by default with V3.4.1 but some one with more knowledge may be able to help there. Did you download the English GB version?
Tom K.
Windows 7 Home Premium
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3
thomasjk

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 am

thomasjk wrote:I believe that English UK is included by default with V3.4.1

The default dictionary includes the UK flavor indeed, you can see it in the drop-down lists for language. Just make sure that it has the blue check mark.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Postby caerbryn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Many thanks for all your help so far.

I have been using openoffice for several years on the same computer, up to now with the "English (UK)" dictionary, I think. However the dictionary appears to have suddenly disappeared a few days ago, so now every word I type is underlined in the red wavy line. Now, in Tools/Extension Manager, no dictionary is listed.

In Tools/Options/language settings/Languages, the "Default language for documents", Western drop-down box shows "English (UK)"

In Tools/Options/Language settings/Writing Aids, under "User-defined dictionaries", the box for "standard [English (UK)]" is ticked.

In C:/Program Files/OpenOffice.org 3/share/extensions/install, there is a file dict-en.oxt, of 6,377KB, installed on 23Jul12

Trying to add this, from Tools/Extensions manager, results in the error message " C:/etc... is not available"
The link to it therefore appears to have become broken.

The reason the tutorial is difficult for me is that I cannot find an "English (UK)" dictionary, on the "Extensions" webpage, following Tom K's link. English (US), English (Australian), and several others are listed, but no "English" (UK)

How can I download an "English (UK).oxt file?
caerbryn

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I suggest that you close OpenOffice and move the dict-en.oxt to a temporary directory. Then startup OpenOffice and use /Tools/Extension Manager to reinstall that dictionary from its temporary location.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Xubuntu 14.04 and Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby lgusaas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm

caerbryn wrote:The reason the tutorial is difficult for me is that I cannot find an "English (UK)" dictionary, on the "Extensions" webpage, following Tom K's link. English (US), English (Australian), and several others are listed, but no "English" (UK)

How can I download an "English (UK).oxt file?

The dictionary at http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... t-en-fixed has multiple English dictionaries, including British English. The comments about lack of British English are incorrect.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Sask. Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." — Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 — MacBook Pro — OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
lgusaas
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm

An English (UK) dictionary comes by default with Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Xubuntu 14.04 and Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

All words underlined is sometimes a sign of a corrupted installation. This can happen when upgrading instead of removing the old version before installing a new version. Try resetting your user profile. If that doesn't fix the problem, it's easier to start over than try to fix the corrupted installation. Uninstall AOO 3.4.1 using Revo Uninstaller, rename or delete your old user profile folder, then reinstall AOO 3.4.1. You should then have an English dictionary with a UK module.

[Tutorial] The User Profile
AOO 4.0.1 on 64-bit Windows 8.1
Bill

Postby caerbryn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 am

Thanks Bill - your advice to remove my user profile worked perfectly.
I followed the tutorial about The User Profile, renamed Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3\User, and restarted OpenOffice. Sure enough the dictionary was back.

Now I just have to re-install the modifications I have made to my OpenOffice over the years.

Now I know I ought to close down this thread. If only I could find where to do that, without having to search for another half-hour.
caerbryn

Postby caerbryn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 am

Off topic, but I have now spent 20 minutes trying, unsuccessfully, to find out how to make a topic "Solved" I remember trying once before to do this, after a request from an Administrator to do this, again without success.

So, how do I mark my thread as "Solved". (In simple steps please - I am a simple Care Assistant, almost as mentally disadvantaged as those I help look after, not a computer wizz-kid.)

There is all sorts of complicated stuff on this page, why no hint on how to close a thread?
caerbryn

Postby thomasjk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 am

Go to the first post you made in this thread. Click the edit button and in the subject block insert [Solved] in front of the subject.
Tom K.
Windows 7 Home Premium
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3
thomasjk

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm

caerbryn wrote:There is all sorts of complicated stuff on this page, why no hint on how to close a thread?

See the Survival Guide for the forum, especially this post.
I've done it for you BTW.
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting