Convert Calc workbook to Base

Just a meeting place for professional offers & requests
Forum rules
Disclaimer: this section of the forum is just a meeting place for professional offers & requests. We do not and cannot insure the liability of the proposal made publicly in the forum or privately after contact has been made in the forum. Therefore, please take up the offers made here at your own risk.
SilkBC

Convert Calc workbook to Base

Post by SilkBC »

I have a OO.org Calc workbook that I use to calculate ratings on soccer teams. The same setup can be used to also calculate ELO-type ratings for tennis players. It has done a great job to now, because I want to expand the amount of data it calculates for (i.e., the number teams to calculate for). The problem is, because almost every cell contains a formula, this greatly increases the size of the workbook (it went from several hundred KB for a 20-team league to well over 45MB when I tried to do all international matches), and it would take forever when navigating around it. I feel it is time to move the data into Base.

Most of the data I use are from CSV files located at <http://www.football-data.co.uk>.

Obviously more details are needed, but I will provide to anyone who is interested in working on this. I think the best way to go would be to provide the workbook I currently use, and it should be easier to see what I am after.

Thanks for your interest! :-)

-SilkBC
OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, Linux and Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Convert Calc workbook to Base

Post by Zizi64 »

Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
SilkBC

Post by SilkBC »

Thanks for the link, but I am not looking to import a Calc spreadsheet into Base. I have a Calc worksheet that calculates ELO-type ratings for teams based on their results against other teams. It works fine for a 20-team league over a season, but I want to expand it quite a bit (data for several seasons readily available, doing all international matches, etc.), but because almost every cell has a formula, it greatly increases the size of the workbook.

I am looking to convert the *functionality* of the Calc workbook into a Base "application". I think the trickiest part (for me), would be writing the BASIC code required to do the calculations and provide the reports.

-SilkBC
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

Depending on the issue you have with your spreadsheet(s) there might be a solution:
If you have trouble with CPU/calculations, it might be difficult to solve.
If you have trouble with size of document there might be a solution (I tested with a file of 10MB containing individual functions per cel" C1is "=A1+B1", extended over C1:AA65536):
- use array formulas (check the help of OO "Array Functions"; saved me 89% on file size and 50% on loading time)
- use Names to make relative 'functions' and address them with the defined name. (Saved me 85% on file size, but not on loading data)
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
SilkBC

Post by SilkBC »

Hi eremmel.
eremmel wrote:Depending on the issue you have with your spreadsheet(s) there might be a solution:
If you have trouble with CPU/calculations, it might be difficult to solve.
If you have trouble with size of document there might be a solution (I tested with a file of 10MB containing individual functions per cel" C1is "=A1+B1", extended over C1:AA65536):
- use array formulas (check the help of OO "Array Functions"; saved me 89% on file size and 50% on loading time)
- use Names to make relative 'functions' and address them with the defined name. (Saved me 85% on file size, but not on loading data)
I did look at these, but unfortunately they don not work for me as I have absolute references in my forumlas. Here is what the basic formula looks like:

Code: Select all

=IF($G4=V$2,IF($L4="H",V3+$U4,IF($L4="A",V3-$T4,IF($L4="D",(V3-$T4)+(($T4+$U4)/2),V3))),IF($H4=V$2,IF($L4="H",V3-$U4,IF($L4="A",V3+$T4,IF($L4="D",(V3-$U4)+(($T4+$U4)/2),V3))),V3))
-SilkBC
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

The above kind of functions can be written in pure SQL. You do not need any macro's for that.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
SilkBC

Post by SilkBC »

eremmel wrote:The above kind of functions can be written in pure SQL. You do not need any macro's for that.
Which brings me back to Square One: I would like to get a quote for converting my "Calc" workbook to an "Base" application....

Since no one else seems interested, I may have to go elsewhere, but I figured this would be the best place to start.

I appreciate your earlier thoughts on this, though :-)

-SilkBC