Need Help To Disable Save As

Just a meeting place for professional offers & requests
Forum rules
Disclaimer: this section of the forum is just a meeting place for professional offers & requests. We do not and cannot insure the liability of the proposal made publicly in the forum or privately after contact has been made in the forum. Therefore, please take up the offers made here at your own risk.
mindyRosenblatt

Need Help To Disable Save As

Post by mindyRosenblatt »

I have built a Calc spreadsheet that I want to sell. If I password protect it customized to each customer, I find that someone can easily do a SAVE AS, and save it again without password protection, which means they could pass it around for free. I've found links on the web about the possibility of disabling Save As in Excel, but I don't know Macro programming, and don't know how to do this conversion. Or whether this is possible in Calc or not. Or if there is a better way to limit distribution of a program I have worked hard to create.

I am using OpenOffice 3.1, and running it on Windows XP.

Thanks so much to anyone willing to help!

Mindy R
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP / OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS 10.5
Hagar Delest

Re: Need Help To Disable Save As

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Does it help: [Solved] Can't figure out how to disable File > Open?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mindyRosenblatt

Post by mindyRosenblatt »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be slow, but this level of programming is not my specialty. Are you suggesting that the same technique for disabling the Open menu can also be used to disable the Save As menu?

It looks like the link you mention was about an XML file. Is it a separate file that resides in the OpenOffice folder itself? How could I have my end users have this command automatically activated by simply downloading my Calc spreadsheet? That's what I need. I can't get them to install a separate file in the program itself I don't think...

Thanks for your patience to connect a few more dots together for me.

- Mindy
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP / OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS 10.5
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hmm, you're right, I mixed that configuration file with a macro. Sorry.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

This discussion might help you further how i can manipulate openoffice writer document event: close/save.... You need macro programming and catch "SaveAs" if that is the right name. But when someone is willing to ship your document to others without pw protection despite the agreement/contract you have made, the step to share it including pw is not so large it is all about ethics. This is difficult up to impossible to manage.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Could be usefull for you, use the Tools/Protect/Document or sheets.
See in the OOo help [F1], searching for "protected contents".
There you can see the diferent protection levels.
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
RichPorter

Post by RichPorter »

If you are looking to entirely remove the Save function VBA is probably your best option, just select Alt + F11, double click "ThisWorkbook" and paste the following into the module sheet:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSaveAs(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

Cancel = True

End Sub

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're after but this seems by far the easiest way around your problem (however I don't think this prevents saving in design mode).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7