MathTools for OpenOffice and math teachers.

Discuss your migration story or project
mrgrape

MathTools for OpenOffice and math teachers.

Post by mrgrape »

Hello. I am a college math/CSCI instructor who has been using OpenOffice since early 1.1. Over the years I have written a collection of tools to help me prepare tests and worksheets. Recently I had the opportunity to re-write and re-integrate them into a much more consistent package. The targeted technologies are OpenOffice and MathML Presentation and the application is written using Java 6. The application can be run from its JAR and includes both GUI demos and a scripting environment.

As of now the project is in a stable, near-release beta form. If you are an OpenOffice-using math instructor interested in a set of tools to help prepare written tests you might be interested in this. It may also be of interest to SVG geeks and MathML users. The project is 'MattsMathTools' and it is hosted on sourceforge.

My purpose in posting here is twofold. OpenOffice has greatly assisted me in creating _really nice_ tests and worksheets and I hope to give something back to the OOo community. Second, I would greatly appreciate help and feedback in polishing and perfecting my application. I am a firm believer in open source software and this is my magnum opus in that regard.

-james cox
MattsMathTools
OpenOffice 3.0.0 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: MathTools for OpenOffice and math teachers.

Post by acknak »

Sounds great! Thanks for letting us know about it; I hope you'll get some helpful feedback.

Not sure if you purposely avoided posting a link, but here's one anyway: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mattsmathtools/
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mrgrape

Re: MathTools for OpenOffice and math teachers.

Post by mrgrape »

Arrgh! :crazy: :alarm:
Major, MAJOR problem is now fixed: MMatrix determinants are calculated properly. It seems the minors broke and malfunctioned on higher-order matrices. Well, except the ones I happened to test. Grrr.... Anyhow, it should be working now.

-matt
OpenOffice 3.0.0 on Windows Vista