[Closed] Allow for version searches in Forum Search bar?

Let us know how we are doing -
ShadowCat8

[Closed] Allow for version searches in Forum Search bar?

Post by ShadowCat8 »

Greetings,

I was just trying to see if there was any more information on the upcoming release of OOo v4.2.0 in regards to AOO Issue #127722 and noticed that the Forum Search will always break up the version numbers when you try to search by them (e.g. searching for "OOo 4.2.0" returns results for/with "+OOo +4 +2 +0"). It breaks the version number up even if you surround the version with single- or double-quotes.

Now, in the Survival Guide, it is pointed out how to search the forums with outside search engines, but I would think this should be able to be handled by the Forum's own search engine. Or am I missing something?

Let us know and I look forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ShadowCat8 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple
with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -- Douglas Adams
-----
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on personal build of Gentoo Linux
RusselB

Re: Allow for version searches in Forum Search bar?

Post by RusselB »

An interesting find, and one that I have confirmed.
Not sure what, if anything we can do, but the moderators may be able to let those that run the actual forum software aware of this situation.
Regarding the release of OpenOffice 4.2.0, you can always just check the Announcements section of Install, Setup and Troubleshooting
You can also just keep an eye on the Download page
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It works for me. When I search for "OOo 4.2.0", results are returned for +"OOo 4 2 0". The dots are removed from between the numbers, but the search still returns results with dots between the numbers. The only returned result is the first post in this topic which is probably the only post containing "OOo 4.2.0". Searching for "OOo 4.0.2" doesn't return anything, which is what I would expect. To find posts about Apache OpenOffice 4.2.0, search for "AOO 4.2.0". That will return more posts than searching for "Ooo 4.2.0".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ShadowCat8

Post by ShadowCat8 »

Greetings RusselB and thank you for your quick response,

I have already been keeping an eye on the Downloads page, checking in about once a week, but a great idea to just check the Announcements.

Thank you.

Regards,
ShadowCat
with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -- Douglas Adams
-----
ShadowCat8

Post by ShadowCat8 »

Greetings Bill,

And, thanks for pointing out using "AOO" versus "OOo". Good catch.

However, using Google search, as detailed in the Survival guide, I get a *lot* of results that I do not see when I do it in the above search bar. In fact, if I break it down to searching in the Forum Search for just "4.2.0", I get no results within the Forum Search as of this writing, not even this thread. By comparison, I will show you the top 5 hits from Google Search below:

Google Search on 'site:forum.openoffice.org/en/forum +"4.2.0"'
About 909 results (0.28 seconds)
Search Results
Web results

OpenOffice 4.2 (View topic) • Apache OpenOffice Community Forum
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=94669
Aug 13, 2018 - 5 posts - ‎2 authors
Behind the scenes work is taking place on OO 4.2.0. It is a matter of manpower and volunteer developers' time. Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on ...

[Solved] Crashes (View topic) • Apache OpenOffice Community Forum
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89600
Jul 20, 2017 - 8 posts - ‎1 author
I can reproduce the bug that causes AOO 4.1.3 to crash when clicking the Page icon on the Styles and Formatting window (fixed in AOO 4.2.0), ...

[Solved] Could a Linux User test something for me? (View topic ...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70198
Jun 5, 2014 - 16 posts - ‎2 authors
Both co-exist in my system, I can even launch both simultaneously. AOO 4.2.0 / LibO 5.x/6.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux 11.3 (32-bit) / 13.2 (64-bit).

Is OpenOffice dead? (View topic) • Apache OpenOffice Community ...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=87300
Feb 5, 2017 - 7 posts - ‎2 authors
Couldn't we go direct to 4.2.0? I have been using it since 28 July 2015 after downloading from the The Apache OpenOffice API Project ...

[Solved] Macro to delete sheet (View topic) • Apache OpenOffice ...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94233
Jul 8, 2018 - 7 posts - ‎3 authors
How can I avoid seeing this message? Last edited by Nocton on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total. OpenOffice 4.2.0 on Windows ...
Now, I was just trying to see if we could make things a bit easier. I am not expecting to implement a search engine like Google's into the forums, but I have set up and run phpBB in our office, and I don't seem to have the same issues when searching on our internal forums as when searching here (though we tend to be more descriptive with our version numbering, like '2.16.0-r1', so I may be comparing apples to oranges). I'll go ahead and close the thread.

Thanks for your time and attention to this and have a good day.

Regards,
ShadowCat
-----
robleyd

Re: [Closed] Allow for version searches in Forum Search bar?

Post by robleyd »

You might find the Google search feature on the opening page at https://forum.openoffice.org may do what you want.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers