[Solved] Changing email address

Let us know how we are doing -
Siarach

[Solved] Changing email address

Post by Siarach »

As Orange are ceasing their email service, I must stop using my current principal email address which is allan-at-pitfure.freeserve.co.uk. I want you to use my other email address, which you also have on record, namely, allan241-at-googlemail.com . I have tried to make this change using the details section provided, but it will not let me. I do not want to change my user name or password, just to take my old email address off your records. Perhaps one of the moderators could help. Siarach
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOFFICE 4.0.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: Changing email address

Post by acknak »

It's best not to post actual email addresses on the forum—they may get harvested for spam.

As far as I know, the forum software will not allow two different accounts with the same email.

Do you need two accounts? Do you want to disable the account using the googlemail address (Criosdaidh)?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

I do not have two accounts, nor do I want two accounts. I simply want the forum to use my googlemail number instead of my freeserve number which will soon not be any use, as Orange are soon going to stop their email service. I just cannot seem to be able to do this on your details facility. I would appreciate help on this. Siarach (I have never used the username Criosdaidh with you).
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

To change your e-mail address go to User Control Panel, select the Profile tab, then select Edit account settings
See the attachment for a screenshot of what I see (note: my e-mail address was removed from the screenshot for privacy reasons)
Open Office User Account Settings.PNG
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Siarach wrote:... I just cannot seem to be able to do this on your details facility. I would appreciate help on this. Siarach (I have never used the username Criosdaidh with you).
Well, someone has/does. And they've made 24 posts:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=76786

And, you'll have to take my word for this, they've registered the forum account with the email address that you want to change to.

So it's not going to be possible for you to change your forum profile to use an email address that's already registered.
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

Thank you for this. It gets worse all the time. Would it not be possible me to close that googlemail account, and remove all traces of it from your records, Freeing me to use it as the email of choice for what is now my Freeserve account? Siarach
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You would have to contact Google regarding the Googlemail account. That has nothing to do with us.
It is a complex and long process (I've already been through it.)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

Thanks. Would it be easier for me to just to start using the googlemail account, and let the freeserve one 'wither on the vine'? The freeserve email number will soon become redundant anyway. After 30 May it will 'die'. siarach
acknak

Post by acknak »

Siarach wrote:Would it not be possible me to close that googlemail account, and remove all traces of it from your records ...
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for.

We can't close (or do anything else with) a googlemail account.

If allan241-at-googlemail-dot-com belongs to you, we can change your forum account to use that, but we need some sort of evidence of that before we remove that email address from the other forum account. I don't understand how an email address could be used by someone else in 2015, but now belongs to a different person (you). I suppose the previous user could have deleted that googlemail address and it was later recycled to you, but we have no way to examine or verify anything about that email address.

How about this: you compose and send an email from allan241-at-googlemail-dot-com to the forum admin account: aoo.forum.en-at-gmail-dot-com

Ask the admins to assign the googlemail address to your current forum account. Once we get that, we can assign that address to the "Siarach" account. That shows that the googlemail address belongs to you.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

From the forum admin mailbox, I've sent a message to each mail address, asking each addressee to forward me the message I've sent to the other address.
If we receive both forwarded messages, it should demonstrate that the owner is the same.
In such case, we will change one of the account mail address. That will inactivate the other of course.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, have received responses from the googlemail address. I'll go ahead and move that address to the Siarach forum account.
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

Thank you very much indeed for this. Siarach