[Solved] Search - force search to display threads not posts

Let us know how we are doing -
John_Ha
Volunteer

[Solved] Search - force search to display threads not posts

Post by John_Ha »

Is there any way to search all posts for my search word, but only display the thread names?

That way, if the search item appears in several posts within a thread, I get only one hit - the thread title.

And can I make my Advanced Search options the default so it is saved and I don't have to0 re-enter it each time?
 Edit: All you need to do is do a normal search and then add &sr=topics to the address in the address bar and press enter. 
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Search - force search to display threads not posts

Post by John_Ha »

Don't you hate it when you answer your own questions. If I go to Advanced Search and select Display results as:, and choose Topics, it displays the threads.

Now all I need to know is how to keep my choice selected ...

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There was a topic a long time ago about that default choice.
I was for the Topic as default but it was rather split. Somehow 51/49 for the current Post default. So we left it like that.
It's just a habit...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Hagar

Thanks. Can we have a re-run of the vote please ;)

It is just one simple click to go from thread subject to posts but, when presented by hundreds of posts, it is many clicks and paging forward to find what you want. When searching with docx I get 13 pages of Topics but 93 pages of posts.

Is there no way to make the search options sticky by saving them in the user profile?

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

John_Ha wrote:Is there no way to make the search options sticky by saving them in the user profile?
Not that I know of (I already searched at that time).

I'd be glad to ask the question again but anyway there is no sysadmin to implement the change...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sorted - well almost.

All you need to do is do a normal search and then add " &sr=topics " to the address in the address bar and press enter.

Searching for bibliography gets search.php?keywords=bibliography&fid%5B0%5D=7

Adding &sr=topics to the address gives search.php?keywords=bibliography&fid%5B0%5D=7&sr=topics and this lists the results by Topic title and not by individual posts

I'll mark this one solved.

robleyd

Re: [Solved]Search - force search to display threads not pos

Post by robleyd »

My solution is a simple right click on advanced search and select Topic every time. Seems quicker to me than your solution - although you probably (certainly) have quicker internet connection that do I :(
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Search - force search to display threads not po

Post by John_Ha »

Each to his own 8-)

I have automated much repetitive stuff on my PC with AutoHotKey so I don't need to remember it. I type zztop in the address bar and AutoHotKey automagically changes it to &sr=topics. zz is what all my shortcuts start with and top is the first three characters of Topic.