Proposed Addition to 'What doesn't work w/o Java' pages

Let us know how we are doing -
INOV8TN

Proposed Addition to 'What doesn't work w/o Java' pages

Post by INOV8TN »

Hi -

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and THANKS so very much for such wonderful software, documentation and even tutorials and Wiki's. I've been enjoying OO for longer than I can remember - especially Writer and Calc and whatever they were called 'back in the day'.

I've been having a frustrating time on 32 bit AntiX getting AOO 4.1.3 to find and use the JRE. (Can't find the JRE.)

Code: Select all

wl@dv1000-antix1:/
$ openoffice4
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
wl@dv1000-antix1:/ 
I came here to browse the Forums and other Doc and of course started at the top and then read some pages that seemed to trivialize the consequences of not having a JRE working in support of AOO.

The biggie for me is 'HELP'. The Help searches (e.g. Writer & Calc - maybe other modules) don't work w/o Java. Can I safely infer that the HELP function is based on a database?

And that's why I was surprised that the site page(s) didn't mention the consequences of not having Java supporting AOO.

Thought you'd like to know.

I'll research and perhaps post details of my JRE situation in the appropriate forum.

Thanks again for all that the OO team does!

Hope this helps.

- Bill
- Bill
OOo 4.1.3 W10 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: Proposed Addition to 'What doesn't work w/o Java' pages

Post by RoryOF »

libgail seems to be related to a gnome accessibility implementation library and libatk-bridge is to do with AT-SPI 2 toolkit bridge. You may need to install these packages separately.

Antix16 is an interesting, compact distro. Do they provide an Antix Java package?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Re: Proposed Addition to 'What doesn't work w/o Java' pages

Post by acknak »

As a workaround, could you use LibreOffice's help pages? They're the same help content as what AOO provides through the Help menu, except they're hosted on the web: https://help.libreoffice.org
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23