[Solved] Do you take LibreOffice Writer Questions Here?

Let us know how we are doing -
tinker124

[Solved] Do you take LibreOffice Writer Questions Here?

Post by tinker124 »

Thought I would ask that before I ask my technical question.

I found a Libre Office forum but the answers are not as extensive and it is shutting down in two weeks :)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Libre Office Version: 4.2.8.2 Build ID420m0(Build:2) * Linux Mint 17 Qiana with the Cinnamon Desktop
acknak

Re: Do you take Libre Office Writer Questions Here?

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

No problem--ask away.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

tinker124 wrote:I found a Libre Office forum but the answers are not as extensive and it is shutting down in two weeks :)
Although LibreOfficeForum.org is indeed closing, Ask LibreOffice forum is still there - it has about 16,000 posts. LibreOfficeForum.org apparently needed a major re-vamp because the enabling forum software was being changed, and it was just too hard, with the multiple languages, to convert it to the new software.

I am pleased you find the answers here to be good :super:
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MPEcho

Post by MPEcho »

acknak wrote:Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

No problem--ask away.
Thanks, I'm a transplant from the Libreoffice Forums. While I appreciate your openness, it is interesting to note that during login today 9/6/2016, I was required to set a "signature" containing OO version and OS. "LibreOffice 5.1 on Ubuntu 16.04" Was not an acceptable answer. The acceptable answer is how this post is signed. :(
Libre Office 5.1.6.2 Ubuntu 16.04
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Do you take LibreOffice Writer Questions Here?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, it's a known issue. We used to have someone for such forum configuration file change but no longer the case currently.
The issue has been raised again recently, it might be fixed soon.
You can change the signature after registration in fact.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MPEcho

Post by MPEcho »

Hagar Delest wrote: You can change the signature after registration in fact.
Thanks, I've done that now. Frankly I as concerned about "fibbing" my way in. So I am glad to know the openness is real!
Libre Office 5.1.6.2 Ubuntu 16.04
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Since the libreofficeforum.org finally shut down recently, and the ask.libreoffice.org site cannot be a sufficient substitute by its foundation, the question may come up with a new degree of urgency.

Many visitors to the TDF's askbot or to the late unofficial forum will not even know about this forum. Those who know it in principle will have it in mind as a dedicated Apache OpenOffice forum which it is according to its most prominent logo. I wonder if at least all the people in charge of maintaining this site are fully aware of the fact that there also is an announcement in the header in white text on light blue. It is all but eyecatching. Gotten curious I finally read "User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives".

Being open on the one hand, but only linking to AOO sites and documents on the other hand may not work in the long run. Indifference also is no longer an option in an increasing number of cases due du to the many changes LibO meanwhile made to the UI and progressively also to the functionality.

Coming from the LibO side, but not at all interested in any kind of struggle, I would not want to hijack this forum. Nonetheless there is a kind of invitation. What do you think would happen if I append to each post of mine in the ask.libreoffice.org site a ceterum censeo like "You should also visit the much better structured forum.openoffice.org/en" as if it is a signature?

Would there be a way to add a kind of subforum to any main branch ('Calc' e.g.) titled 'LibO Specifics'? ...

You see, I even hijacked a topic here. Sorry! No harm meant! I just did not want to start a topic too much emphasising the critical points to those probably ready to make a hype of it.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

We had the discussion among Volunteers if we would accept LibO questions. The conclusion was that we would and the banner was updated accordingly. I don't see any problem if you add a link in your posts.

As for the subforums, I'm not sure we need them right now. There is one already in the Install & setup troubleshooting section. In case there is something specific to LibO, we can add a tag in the first line of the 1st post saying so. I fear that adding a tag in the subject line would remove too much space if we add the solved tag afterward.
But this can be discussed depending on the volume of such specific topics.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10