Getting the word out

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

Getting the word out

Post by acknak »

Posting on the OOo mailing list(s). Would something from Louis be appropriate?

A link on the OOo support page will happen, I assume.

Maybe this is a sticky point, but I would love to see the questions posted to the general mailing lists from non-subscribers be sent here instead, only because it might help reduce the resulting clutter and noise on the lists and I think it's more likely that people can navigate a web site more easily than a mailing list.

Do we have the 'guest' access in place?

I think it would be appropriate to clear it with Ed (including the message text), but an announcement post on oooforum would be nice.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Getting the word out

Post by DrewJensen »

acknak wrote:Posting on the OOo mailing list(s). Would something from Louis be appropriate?

A link on the OOo support page will happen, I assume.

Maybe this is a sticky point, but I would love to see the questions posted to the general mailing lists from non-subscribers be sent here instead, only because it might help reduce the resulting clutter and noise on the lists and I think it's more likely that people can navigate a web site more easily than a mailing list.
That is actually a pretty good idea..and I don;t really think it is all that 'sticky a point'...we could offer anyway.
Do we have the 'guest' access in place?
No - we don't at the moment.

Could turn on posting for non-registered guests and force the use of the visual captcha today.
This could be limited to a particular forum perhaps, or left for any forum but require a moderator to approve the post before it was actually listed. To go the whole route mentioned earlier, with the warning about not being notified without registration ( or taking an email address right there ) will take some custom coding. A good candidate for the first task for that IMO.
I think it would be appropriate to clear it with Ed (including the message text), but an announcement post on oooforum would be nice.
Well...I believe someone that is also a moderator or an admin at that board and a member here might be the one to ask :P
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Uh oh. I think I just volunteered to do something. ;-)

I'll write something up today and email it, so we can all have a look before it gets posted.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Fair enough..and if you didn't know Ed is a member of this board already - I also sent a private message to him, just as this board went live. So he is well aware of everything.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04