Sign in / Register both suck

Let us know how we are doing -
thebestrealestateguy

Sign in / Register both suck

Post by thebestrealestateguy »

This now the 3rd email I have had to create to get on this fucking site. The moron that designed this site needs to be shot. the last user id I create 5 days ago already shows inactive. I don't come to this site much because it is a pain in the ass to sign it when you forget your user ID and password. I spend more time trying to get in than asking questions. 2 hours wasted because of a stupid set up. there is nothing valuable about your stupid site. if all I have is my email that should be sufficient. that is the way other site work. I would like to get my regular email working again but I don't check new emails for response especially when I just created it to get in. You lie registering is a pain in the ass. signing in is even worse
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
thebestrealestateguy

Re: SIGN IN / REGISTER BOTH SUCK

this is really stupid. I could not get on with this name so I created a new email and then registered. activated my account and it sign me up as my originally acct.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are aware that passwords are conventionally case sensitive? Many browsers will offer to remember your login and password for a site, which service avoids al lot of aggravation.

In over five years daily access of this site I have had no problems with login.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Moved.
I don't come to this site much because it is a pain in the ass to sign it when you forget your user ID and password. I spend more time trying to get in than asking questions.
Better write down your user name and mail address somewhere. I suppose that when you lose your house keys, you also complain that the vendor of locks sucks because you can't get into your house without the keys? We get dozens of new members every day, and very few complaints, so apparently the procedure isn't so bad. And we *have* to use registration to keep out the spammers, or we'd have to moderate all posts before they're shown. Finally, don't use an offensive user name or a user name that suggests you're here to advertise something.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Re: Sign in / Register both suck

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also use the form completion of your web browser to remember the username.
Or keep the mail when you ask for a new password.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thebestrealestateguy

One problem lies in that I dont come to this site very often. The second is every site has some little idiosyncrasy. I dont want a thousand passwords and user ids to have to remember or write down somewhere. House key analogy is poor at best. I only need one key with a spare in a lock box on my water faucet. I have successfully used the browser password save on other site. But this one seems to elude me. I stopped registering for sites that i could not retrieve my login info with just my email address. why cant you set your site up so that is the only requirement like many other site. I hope I dont have so many problems with AOO that i visit here daily. My agreement to use this software was to contribute suggestion on improvement as I have no other expertise. I make those suggestion when i encounter a problem. seems as if i can get in by using a mail link from the site. hopefully I can remember that.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Just remember your username and email address - you can always click the Forgotten your password link to get a new password sent to you.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
thebestrealestateguy

I started surfing back when a password could be 4 numbers. each successive site as time progresses the password from site to site has to change to meet there stupid requirements. Hence too many passwords to remember. same with id. The one thing that a site can not do is to force me to change my email address. so that is not a problem. Matter of fact it is the solution. if having the email is sufficient LIKE MANY SITEs DO.
acknak

Post by acknak »

thebestrealestateguy wrote:... I stopped registering for sites that i could not retrieve my login info with just my email address. ...
You can. But you must use the email address you used when you registered here.

As far as I can see, that's an important requirement, otherwise anyone could come along and use the site to snoop out email addresses.

There is an email address on the front page of the forum that you can use to contact a foum administrator if you're having trouble logging in. You still have to have some knowledge of the information you used when the account was set up.

For what it's worth, I agree that registration should not be needed just to drop in and ask a question once in a while. But we're pretty much stuck with it at this point.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Get a password manager and let it remember login id's and passwords. The only id's and passwords I remember are for my computer user account and password manager.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04