Forum Topic Editor defaults to delete drafts

Let us know how we are doing -
MikeytheMagnificent

Forum Topic Editor defaults to delete drafts

Post by MikeytheMagnificent »

I'm sure its just happened yet again.

I tried to submit a similar post earlier today, and it's either lost itself or I've messed up again.

After I opt to save a part finished draft on the editor Im writing in now I am shown in very small writing save yes|no
why it's necessary ? I dont know but it does, and it defaults to no so if I don't notice it or forget and leave the yes|no page , I lose the lot, and I do regularly.
What difference would it make to admin of it defaulted instead to yes or didn't even ask for confirmation, and why such tiny writing.
Why doesnt it ask the sme quesion before completing an immediate submit
After I've recovered my saved draft it now appears in another editor marked view|edit, this time without a Post option and without the rtf icons but with one mysteriously called reset, I'm returned to the saved drafts page and if I now opt to Load my draft Im back in familiar territory with the load/save/preview/submit and rtf buttons. Why do I need both editors, so long as I take care not to finish up with 7 or 8 similar drafts in various states of completeness, that is if I remember to confirm my save
Many opportunities to add short Tutorials or faq's are missed

1. Must have obvious title to be found easily
2. Keep to objectives
3. Use very clear language
4. Difficult to get right
5. Rewards are few
acknak

Re: Forum Topic Editor defaults to delete drafts

Post by acknak »

After I opt to save a part finished draft on the editor Im writing in now I am shown in very small writing save yes|no
Is this the screen you're referring to?
draft_save.png
It doesn't look so small to me. Do you see something different?

Maybe you mean overall, it is rather low-key, visually speaking.

There is a warning there that explains why the extra prompt is needed, although I agree that the wording really isn't all that clear.

If I understand correctly, the important part is, if you save your draft, you will lose any attachments that belong to the post. That seems like a pretty serious consequence; something the user should be warned about.

The whole save/restore draft feature does seem a little awkward.
MikeytheMagnificent

Re: Forum Topic Editor defaults to delete drafts

Post by MikeytheMagnificent »

Reviewing many posts a day, it will become second nature to you to say yes to the prompt if ever you need to go elsewhere mid-post

The important thing is the effect not the cause.
The effect is losing my work
The cause is the not noticing the yes |no box and shooting off to another forum
Posting only once a month or so the yes|no is still not obvious enough to catch my eye
defaulting to no and losing my work is still the consequence.
I continue to lose work because of it and still cannot see why defaulting to yes would cause nuisance
Many opportunities to add short Tutorials or faq's are missed

1. Must have obvious title to be found easily
2. Keep to objectives
3. Use very clear language
4. Difficult to get right
5. Rewards are few