[Issue] Restart Vietnamese forum

Let us know how we are doing -
FJCC

[Issue] Restart Vietnamese forum

Post by FJCC »

Andrea Pescetti has started a thread on the dev mailing about restarting the Vietnamese forum.
Last edited by floris v on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged as issue.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Re: Restart Vietnamese forum

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've replied on the ML. It would be great indeed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Maybe they should start with a moderation queue, like here.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, it's mandatory.
This will give an idea of the workload, even if there is only one moderator. He will see how long it takes to disapprove and ban a user.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Judging by the number of real topics and posts (as opposed to spam), it would not be too hard:
Total posts 122 • Total topics 57 over - more than how many years?
That's less than what this forum gets in a single day.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
vietnamesel10n
Volunteer

Post by vietnamesel10n »

Hello, my name is Anh Phan and the nickname on the L10n Team of AOO was ppanhh.

1. I am sorry for this reply because I was on vacation last month.
I have created a content of reopening the forum in VN language in the L10n mailing list and also asked for reopening the mailing of Vietnamese Mailing List in AOO.

2. As the previous users have mentioned, the forums in Vietnamese has got attacked from spam (adverstising - as I have reviewed the forums).
Besides, the lacking moderators of forum itself (in native moderators), was the reason for closing the forum and put it in the only-read mode.

Moderating a forums needs many people, the same thing to mailing list. I know that.

But, the team for Libre Office, is moving ahead. They chose Libre instead of AOO.
That's THEIR choices, not MINE.

3. I believe that, with the enthusiasm and willing from me (and other vietnamese user in the near future), I will try my best to moderate both of the Forums and Mailing List for Vietnamese Language.

So, please, accept my suggestion, for reopening those ones.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 8
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I've promoted you Volunteer so you should have access to the private section.

Since the volume in the VN forum was rather low, you should be able to cope with the moderation alone at the beginning. I hope you'll need more staff quickly!
At least the first post moderation will prevent the spam to appear in the forum. The only challenge being alone is the reactivity to approve new posts, that's all.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with managing the Vi forum.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Restart Vietnamese forum

Post by floris v »

Okay, I checked in today, just for the hell of it, and found that the new admin hasn't been in for two months, and there's a lot of spam, some of it sex related, there were even two pictures of nude women. I PM'd him, not too friendly I fear, and very much to the point by Asiatic standards, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a little longer. I did move the most loaded posts to the admin section though and will inform him about that.

[Edited]
Nederlandstalig forum
RGB

Re: [Issue] Restart Vietnamese forum

Post by RGB »

Thanks, floris. If nothing change or you receive no answer, please let me know and I'll close (again) the registration and lock the forum.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Will do that, thanks for getting back to me. I did move all spam to the admin forum already, btw, just remembered how to move all offending topics in a forum from the control panel. As far as I could make out, there were no new legitimate posts.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Post by acknak »

Wow. Thanks so much for checking on that, floris.

I don't remember--was there some reason that we didn't enable moderation on there? I can't see why we'd ever want to leave a forum open without admins/moderators watching the board.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It was supposed to have at least one moderator/admin (Mr. Phan Anh), see: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoff ... 12799.html
It was also decided to moderate new posts as in the EN forum.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Okay, I checked the mod log and found that he deleted one spam message while he was active, by a member who posted two more since, with pictures of scantily dressed women - apparently he forgot to ban him. So, in the 13 days that he was active, and may have checked in daily, all he got was one spam message, and after that maybe he just gave up - can't blame him if he did, mind you, must be a thankless job to run a forum and see that nobody comes along to make it worth the trouble. Or he's on holidays, or ill. But he should have notified us that he had either given up or that he'd be away for a while.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Hagar Delest wrote:It was supposed to have at least one moderator/admin (Mr. Phan Anh), see: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoff ... 12799.html
It was also decided to moderate new posts as in the EN forum.
Apparently the moderation queue hasn't been enabled. Can somebody do that please? I don't have admin powers, so I can't do it.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Okay but I'm surprised there has been no post at least to show that the forum was running again.
Don't remember if there was something scheduled like an blog post on the AOO blog or something else.

NB: no admin power on that zone.
acknak

Post by acknak »

floris v wrote:... after that maybe he just gave up - can't blame him if he did, mind you, must be a thankless job to run a forum and see that nobody comes along to make it worth the trouble. ...
Absolutely. No point in blaming anyone at all.

I wonder if there is some way to be alerted if no moderators were active? I'm just glad you though to check it!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

floris v wrote:Apparently the moderation queue hasn't been enabled. Can somebody do that please?
First message moderation is active now on Vietnamese forums.
 Edit: Someone need to write an announcement of this in Vietnamese... I cannot help there, but if the text is available, I can copy paste it 
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you can copy-paste it, I can ask a friend for that (if I'm quicker than Mr. Phan Anh).
RGB

Post by RGB »

It should be simple, something like
------
Moderation of first message for new users

Due to a recent spam attack, the first message of every new user will enter moderation queue. After the first message is approved, the user will receive a confirmation email and then will be able to post normally.
------
Or something like that.

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Is it possible to add that to the confirmation e-mail that newly registered users get?
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sorry, I misunderstood RGB's question! I thought it was about translating that message in Vietnamese.

So what I propose (and will try to get a Vietnamese translation):
Title: New users: first message is moderated

Due to a recent spam attack, the first message of every new user will enter moderation queue.
The message will not appear in the board until it is approved by a moderator.
After the first message is approved, the user will receive a confirmation email and then will be able to post normally.
When several messages are posted before approval, they also need to be approved to appear in the board.

If the registration mail can be changed, I fear that it can be made by imacat only. But it would be a good idea, even for the other forums.
RGB

Post by RGB »

floris v wrote:Is it possible to add that to the confirmation e-mail that newly registered users get?
Not from the ACP. The registration process is part of Imacat's realm, like the IP thing. It is possible to change the signature for the emails, but that signature will be on every email send by the board, not only on the activation email. But indeed, it's a good idea!
Hagar Delest wrote:Title: New users: first message is moderated

Due to a recent spam attack, the first message of every new user will enter moderation queue.
The message will not appear in the board until it is approved by a moderator.
After the first message is approved, the user will receive a confirmation email and then will be able to post normally.
When several messages are posted before approval, they also need to be approved to appear in the board.
Sounds good!

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

So far no reaction and no sign of his showing up on the forum. I merely PM'd him; if we start mailing, I feel it's better if a senior admin does that, like RGB or imacat instead of a volunteer who is totally unrelated to the forum and only got involved by accident. Anyone?
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, he could be on vacation or whatever.
I think there is no emergency for the moment.

If needed, I can register the VI forum and check the moderation queue. I've tried with a post and google translate seems not so bad so I think I can spot the spam to moderate the first post.
RGB

Post by RGB »

No problem from me. Disable registration is just two clicks, and add a new moderator is something like three ;)

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I'm a mod there, it's just that he insisted to be an admin and now he's been awol for two months. He might be dead for all we know. :(
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've registered too.
For the record, the signature needs to be updated:
Invalid signature, valid examples include:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RGB

Post by RGB »

Thanks, Hagar. I set you as global moderator. Anyway, if Phan does not respond on a reasonable time frame, I think we will need to close the vi forum again.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've posted the message in the sticky: Forum Open Again.

So far, no new users since Dec. 8th.