Why require bugzilla account to view fixes

Let us know how we are doing -
christine33

Why require bugzilla account to view fixes

Post by christine33 »

On the page for general release notes for AOO 3.4.1 http://www.openoffice.org/development/r ... 3.4.1.html it says if want to view full list of changes / fixes, you'll need an acct login on Bugzilla.
Why in the world would AOO make users go to bugzilla in the 1st place to see a list of changes / fixes, and
Why make them login to a separate page / site, just to read a list of changes? Is the change / fix list that secretive?

That was the approach Mozilla used to take, but after I pointed out how ridiculous it was to make users login just to view a full change list or read fixes (that were LINKED in the "short" release notes), they altered policy, where uses can now view all bugs and / or complete change list w/o having to login to ANY site. VIEWING a change list / bugs (fixes) & filing reports or making comments are completely different.
open office 3.2.1 - Vista x64 SP2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Why require bugzilla account to view fixes

Post by Villeroy »

No account is required to search and read the bug database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Villeroy wrote:No account is required to search and read the bug database.
True, but the link to bug fixes in 3.4.1 in the release notes require you to be logged in.
Bug Fixes

As of 2012/08/16, there were 69 verified issues that have been resolved.

This list can be found at: http://s.apache.org/Huv

You will need an OpenOffice Bugzilla login to view it.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I agree that this is rather nonsense!

this query is rather similar, there are however 4 bugs that are not in the original search. But haven't checked which ones exactly. You don't need to be logged in to view that list.

Will try to drop a mail on the dev mailing list about that.
Done: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoff ... 02803.html
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I think the only reason for the login is that the search link recalls a named/saved search, which I guess is restricted to registered users.

Here's a copy of the saved search; this is similar to Hagar's link above but somewhat different; maybe it will give complete results (I haven't checked).

Search: Bugs resolved in AOO 3.4.1

Apache is about the most obsessively transparent organization I've run into. I expect that the restriction is temporary, for the sake of expediency, not to keep it secret from anyone.

Also, in my experience, the bugzilla reports are difficult to extract clear information from: the summaries are often unclear (if not wrong) and the developers don't always take time to add comments that clearly explain the problem and the fix. The release notes are always much easier to understand.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
christine33

Post by christine33 »

As I said... they need to fix it. Thanks Hagar.
open office 3.2.1 - Vista x64 SP2