Login check mark won't stick

Let us know how we are doing -
MilesChap

Login check mark won't stick

Post by MilesChap »

Searched and didn't find mention of this subject. Using Win7,Pro, 64, when on the login page I check "log me on automatically each visit". Have done this perhaps 15 times in the past month, perhaps 3 times in one day, and it never logs me in automatically. Each time I must manually enter my name and password. Is this a bug or is there another method to accomplish it.
Hagar Delest

Re: Login check mark won't stick

Post by Hagar Delest »

No issue on my side with Firefox 9. Are you sure that the cookies are allowed for the site? Else, you can try to delete them (bottom right of page).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Works Ok for me on various Ubuntus, Win2K and Win XP. Depending on your browser, it may offer to remember login name and password; Opera and Firefox certainly do. You may need to have cookies enabled on your computer, or a working Java (two speculations on my part).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Recently I briefly experienced a log in issue. Although I had not logged out (never do) I was obliged to log in.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

Using Firefox 8 and cookies are fully enabled, and updated java today to the latest version and it still doesn't work. FYI I add name and password every time using Roboform. This is not a one-time occurrence it is every time.
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

I'm having the same problem as MilesChap. Windows Vista and just upgraded to FireFox 9.0.1 where cookies are enabled.

No problems with my Windows 7 - 64 machine with FF 8.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

When I installed Firefox 9 I was unable to load a log in page on a certain website. There is a special section in bugzilla for reporting problems with a particular website. It is less formal than the usual bug reporting and I reported the problem.

I reinstalled Firefox 8 which had no issue with the website. I subsequently tested Firefox 9.0.1 and had no problem with the website using that version. The problem was not fixed because of my report (obviously) but I suggest reporting the problem to bugzilla.
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

As a seni-side issue when I updated Java today it attempted to install Norton which I won't let near my machine with a 10-foot pole. The window came up to run a scan and it wouldn't close. Shut down the computer and guess what, it was installed. Ran Revo Uninstaller at it's deepest scan and then ran regedit where I deleted 17 items and 3 cannot be deleted. I've wasted hours and guess at this point I'll go back a week and replace the image and then spend a day bringing it up to date. I will never again update Java when that company that's backing Open Office sneaks that in on the install. If something won't run because java is old, goodbye windows and hello mac.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suspect some rogue program tried to install Norton on your system. An indepth scan for malware seems appropriate at this time - I've used Malwarebytes and adaware satisfactorily in the past; the were both removable after they had finished.
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

The rogue program was Java that has a small check mark in a small box and I didn't notice it. And that website is owned by no other than Oracle. So now that I've discovered how deceitful they are will switch from Open Office to Libre Office if that will keep them in abeyance.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Every switch will introduce other problems. You might be best to uncheck the checkmark and continue with OpenOffice. Beware of paranoia!
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

I don't find it as being paranoia when program companies or any other company for that matter is deceitful.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

"Deceitful" is a very strong word. If you don't like a program, stop using it and demand your money back.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I have just had to log in again. Something is wrong.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

kingfisher wrote:I have just had to log in again. Something is wrong.
I don't think so, kingfisher. I find that I need to login about once every three weeks - there may be a timeout. I also find that if I try to login and there is some type of internet glitch, such as the ISP's servers being off air or in process of switching over to secondary servers (happens at certain times with my ISP) I may need to login again.
 Edit: It may also happen that you get logged out when/if some nasty minded person has tried to login under your name and failed because they couldn't crack your password. If it happens frequently and at short intervals you may need to consult offlist with a moderator or admin just to check. 
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks. It has been a matter of days since the last log in. I haven't had the problem until this month both pre and post the latest Firefox updates.