[Solved] Forum doing well

Let us know how we are doing -
RoryOF

[Solved] Forum doing well

Post by RoryOF »

In spite of the disruption caused by our recent migration, the Forum seems to have recovered well; I note that typically we have 1/3 more persons online at any time than the old forum. Our requirement for a signature with OOo version and OS is useful in cutting down the number of unnecessary posts.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Forum doing well

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sure.

But the future is not that bright for the moment. Now that Terry has gone, we'll need other admins who can take care of the behind the scene real work. See What or who now for website administration?
From what I've understood from the discussions on the ML, I'm not sure we will have the same reactivity with the infra team if something goes wrong.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Yes but now they are the managers, and they must do the supervision and take care of the forums, like or not.
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think Hagar's concern is that there is such vehement opposition to Forums by those who do not use them that they are likely to skimp on the supervision so that they can say that obviously forums don't work. One can see the same hatred of forums in a current debate on the TDF mailing list. Looking at how little most mailing list advocates snip the mails they quote, I come to the conclusion that they are mostly all very fond of the sound of their own voices. I find the Apache and TDF mailing lists nearly unreadable because of the quoting in extenso.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

mriosv wrote:Yes but now they are the managers, and they must do the supervision and take care of the forums, like or not.
I have seen no acceptance of such an obligation. My guess is that things will work out but that is only a guess. I hope also that we are not left with only the mailing lists. 'Top posting' is not universally used (indeed, it seems to be the exception) and scrolling through a recitation of previous posts is tiresome, especially when you find that the sender has added only something as uninformative as '+ 1', occasionally has added nothing or has perhaps added something which is lost somewhere in the other text.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

When you have a good newsreader you have no problem with the long text from the previous post in the same thread. That is maybe also the reason why they don't delete it.

Whit one key I can show or hide the old text.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Always "technicians" in their inner circle. Is like they only can see right away, may be they are afraid out of their domain field and they usualy consider themselfs as special people (human condition). "Technicians" is not only for developers.

But them, as all of us are only one in five billions, with the same rights but different lucky. Once in a while, is good looking around.

As RoryOF write, in TDF list, there are a discussion about their own forum, but the majority wants the forum, only a few not ("technicians"). I think is not an election between, have both is the way, as wider is the ecosystem better for the long term life for the app.

One of the most important values of the forums is the visibility in the web to find answers, specialy for casual finders. But I guess they forgot, that it is important for an app like OOo, to have happy users getting the best and enjoying using the app, like we enjoy helping. And on the way finding good people like us (I hope).
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

RoryOF wrote:... Looking at how little most mailing list advocates snip the mails they quote, ...
That is improving. A couple of us have pointed it out and some, if not all, are doing the <snip>. Just in case nobody knows, there's an extremely informal vote going on about hosting a forum by TDF. Better late than never?
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

On which LO list, please, vasa1?

EDIT: looks like the discuss list.
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

kingfisher wrote:On which LO list, please, vasa1?

EDIT: looks like the discuss list.
Sorry! I should have mentioned it and it is the discuss list:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Di ... 21725.html which one can subscribe to as e-mail.

I think part of the issue (at least for me) is that I usually reply via the quick reply option in Gmail and "sometimes" forget to untick "show quoted text" or something like that. I'll see if I can set that to unticked by default to avoid unnecessary quoting.
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks. I've begun following the discussion in Google Reader but there is a period of about a year missing from the feed.

Looking at the LO lists in that way, it is impossible to know what text is quoted and what text is original.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RPG wrote:When you have a good newsreader you have no problem with the long text from the previous post in the same thread. That is maybe also the reason why they don't delete it.
What reader are you using, RPG?

I use Eudora on Windows and Sylpheed on Ubuntu.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I do use Pan.

It is part of the openSUSE distribution. I don't know if it is possible with other news readers.
It cost me a little time to discover it.
Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2