[Solved] New user color (purple)

Let us know how we are doing -
floris v
Volunteer

[Solved] New user color (purple)

Post by floris v »

I take it that the Apache people get a new user colour, and some of them post outside of the admin forums so it's visible for the public, so it might help to add an explanation on the site legenda on the forums overview.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: taged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Re: New user color (purple)

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've added a section to the survival guide, let me know if it has to be improved: Ranks in the forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Not everybody reads the Survival Guide, we have to refer people to it often enough. I prefer a note on the forums overview (could just be: VIPs or something like that). All colours should be accounted for there. Your proposal on the SG is fine with me, by the way.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What a beautiful color we gave them :)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

I just wanted to add a comment like "Where is the probem? I simply read one or two threads and looked at the right side and saw 'Moderator' below Hagar, or 'Volunteer' below FJCC ... it is only a question of reading a few threads and you get the meaning of the colors".
But right, now I realized that there is no role below the purple contributors. I know we have a hard time find ing a name for the role ... that's why I use purple contributors. But maybe if we can agree on a name for the "apache role" it would start to be self-explaining again (without the need for an extra legend on the main page). Or did I miss something in the discussion New Apache role created, where we decided that we don't want to have a label for this role only a color? But that would be the same problem for the legend on the front page, as well.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

"OOo Project Members"
"Apache Infrastructure"
I think they refer to themselves as "PMC Members" (member of a Project Management Committee).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How about "Apache Observers" or "Apache Monitors"?
 Edit: Edit: thinking about it over lunch, I prefer "Apache Observers"; Observers implies a passive role, whereas in England (possibly USA also?) Monitor implies some element of control, as in "Class Monitor", someone whose task is to keep order in a class while the teacher is away. The name doesn't affect their rights, but psychologically being present as an "Observer" might lessen the urge to interfere gratuitously. 
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Drew hasn't taken the time to give their rank a name I guess.
I like Apache Monitors. Will apply in some hours if no objection/better proposal.
We will decide a better name once the move to ASF has been done.
RGB

Post by RGB »

+1 for "Apache Observers".
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

+1 for "Apache Observers" until we feel monitored.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Coming from Germany I still think of that rectangle thing in front of me when I hear "monitor", so I prefer "Apache Observers". Although some British folks might say that reminds them too much of a newspaper they don't want to be reminded of.
 Edit: Added the "don't" so that it start to make sense (another lesson for me that it is sometimes better not to try to be funny) 
Last edited by rudolfo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Well, German newspapers with "Observer" in their name are somewhat out of fashion since 1945.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seems that Apache observer is the "lazy consensus"!
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

When I hear "Monitor", I think of this:
MonitorLizard.JPG
MonitorLizard.JPG (17.39 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
That could be a fun name, but not everyone would see the humor.
Last edited by FJCC on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

FJCC wrote:When I hear "Monitor", I think of this:
Monitor.JPG
That could be a fun name, but not everyone would see the humor.
You think the green should monitor the purple?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I hadn't even noticed the colors! The name ASF Monitor somehow reminds me of the Monitor Lizards in the zoo. They are almost always motionlessly observing their surroundings, but when they want to, they can move surprisingly fast.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

I'm coming into this a little late (I'm actually on vacation so internet access is sporadic) but what about Apache Contributor or Apache PMC?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

FJCC wrote:I hadn't even noticed the colors! The name ASF Monitor somehow reminds me of the Monitor Lizards in the zoo. They are almost always motionlessly observing their surroundings, but when they want to, they can move surprisingly fast.
Indeed, they behave like biological observation cameras. I did not know the term "Monitor Lizards".
I see a relation of predominance and submission between the two iguanas which implies that they have to monitor each other all the time. The bright green color indicates well-being. The dark, blue-grey mixed color indicates a state of uneasiness.
In human relations the predominant party can be bodily absent, invisible but omnipresent, constantly monitoring the others by means of media, face book, cameras and log files.
In the context of this particular forum I have no problem being monitored, observed, whatever. No big deal (but still a deal). This is virtual reality (some kind of reality nevertheless).