[Solved] templates. & extensions.services.openoffice.org

Let us know how we are doing -
gshillitani

[Solved] templates. & extensions.services.openoffice.org

Post by gshillitani »

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/ and http://templates.services.openoffice.org/ have been down all day. Can't get to templates or extensions :crazy: ... anyone have any ideas?

Gina
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
OxygenOffice Professional Alpha 3.2.1 M019 - OxygenOffice Build 40

Windows Vista Premium 64-bit
acknak

Re: extensions.services.openoffice.org

Post by acknak »

The entire OOo project is in transition; the extensions site has been mostly unavailable recently. It may come back, but if you need something urgently, you may have to go hunting for it on the web.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
therabi
Volunteer

Re: templates. and extensions.services.openoffice.org down?

Post by therabi »

Or you can ask here to see if someone may have a copy they can send to you.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
himagain

Post by himagain »

acknak wrote:The entire OOo project is in transition; the extensions site has been mostly unavailable recently. It may come back, but if you need something urgently, you may have to go hunting for it on the web.

Hi there, acknak,
It's very poor practise for such a simple problem to be allowed to go on for so long and doesn't look too good for the OO image at all.
I looked for a Webmaster contact and couldn't find it anywhere.
Although it is mainly a volunteer org, it should not be too difficult to get help on this small re-programming problem.
IDEA: Someone in authority here could ask for tech help at Oracle itself, or on the Linux Sites, or even Webmastertalk.

I just hope "transition" doesn't mean dying :-{
I'll also post this blind to webmaster@openoffice.org ...

Cheers?
CENSORSHIP??? They can't stop m
OOo 3.3 on Ms Windows 7 + kubuntu, Dragon Naturallyspeaking Premium v11.5
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

himagain wrote:IDEA: Someone in authority here could ask for tech help at Oracle itself, or on the Linux Sites, or even Webmastertalk.
We have absolutely no authority here. We are just users allowed to run a forum on Oracle servers. We are already happy to have the servers up and running for free for the moment...
The team working on OOo in Oracle has already been redispatched internally I think so Oracle won't lose energy on this (except to shut down the whole thing once the donation to ASF will be completed).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

himagain wrote:It's very poor practise for such a simple problem to be allowed to go on for so long...
You're absolutely right, it is poor practice.

Hagar already pointed out that we (the forum) can't do anything about the services, but I would also like to point out that this is exactly why OOo should not be dependent on a corporate "sugar daddy" like Sun or Oracle: they have no deep commitment to anyone but themselves and their bottom line. It's great while it lasts, but when things change and the project becomes uninteresting... ouch.

Note: That doesn't make Sun or Apache Oracle "evil" it's just the way things work.

I hope that Apache will be a good home for the project, but even if OOo does get accepted, I expect a lot of things will change. Sun & Oracle were pumping a lot of cash into OOo, cash that ASF may not want to spend.
Last edited by acknak on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dave2wave

Post by dave2wave »

The extensions and templates services are hosted at the Oregon State University - Open Source Laboratory (OSUOSL) The servers are and have been undersized for the volume of requests. Oracle was working on it before they donated OpenOffice.org to the Apache Software Foundation.

If you notice that the extensions and/or templates sites are completely inaccessible like happened in July then you should report the trouble to support@osuosl.org

The Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating) project is focusing on the multitude of openoffice.org services in various locations around the world. Follow the Apache OpenOffice.org podling's progress at http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.12 on macOS
Apache OpenOffice PMC, Apache Member, OpenOffice Sysadmin
dave2wave

Post by dave2wave »

I hope that Apache will be a good home for the project, but even if OOo does get accepted, I expect a lot of things will change. Sun & Oracle were pumping a lot of cash into OOo, cash that ASF may not want to spend.
The ASF is about building communities of people around code. See http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

For Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating), development discussion is at ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org. Recent topics include this forum, the OOo wiki, and the OOo website.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.12 on macOS
Apache OpenOffice PMC, Apache Member, OpenOffice Sysadmin
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I believe this is the latest thread on the subject.

For the present state of play, see this message on the dev list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux