How do I delete a mailing list subscription?

Let us know how we are doing -
TerryE
Volunteer

How do I delete a mailing list subscription?

Post by TerryE »

In most cases if you have set up a single mailbox email account, and have subscribed from that account, then you simply follow the instructions at the bottom of each email you receive through the mailing list:
Signature.png
Signature.png (7.02 KiB) Viewed 22064 times
So to unsubscribe from the users mailing list, send an email to users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org etc..
Beware, if your mail client is set to display messages in HTML (instead of plain text), you may miss that signature.
The ezmlm package which is used to administer mailing lists matches your email address against its database and if found, then initiates deletion.

Where this all goes wrong is if like me you have multiple mail addresses and mail forwarding addresses (e.g. I use this user id at OOo for my OOo work). In this case ezmlm will not find a match for your sending address. If you find yourself in this situation, then do the following
  • Look at raw headers for one of the mailing list messages that you have been sent. (Depending on your email client this will be on the Properties or View -> Message Source, ... )
  • Find the header line starting with return path:
    Return-path: <users-return-NNNNNNN-XXXX=YYYYY.ZZZ@openoffice.apache.org>
    where XXXX@YYYYY.ZZZ is your email address and NNNNNNN is a message number. Of course, in the "users-digest" is also replaced by the appropriate mailing list such as dev-digest, etc.
  • Now send a blank email to the corresponding unsubscribe address by replacing return-NNNNNNN by unsubscribe, so in this example to:
    users-digest-unsubscribe-XXXX=YYYYY.ZZZ@openoffice.apache.org>
  • You will then receive a confirm email from confirm unsubscribe from <mailing list>@openoffice.apache.org. Now simply respond to this email as it describes by sending a blank email to the address embedded in this message to confirm that you as requester are the receiver of these messages and do want to remove yourself from the list. You will then receive a GOODBYE from <mailing list>@openoffice.apache.org.
And the messages will be no more :)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hagar Delest

How to view mailing lists without subscribing?

Post by Hagar Delest »

However, if you still want to have a look at the mailing lists without being subscribed, you can access them through web browser interfaces.

For the whole list of the AOO mailing lists: Mailing Lists.

For the users mailing list: For the developers mailing list: The Mail-archive.com interface looks like this:
Mail-archive.png