Why do you need a username and password for each section?

Let us know how we are doing -
Jckinnick

Why do you need a username and password for each section?

Post by Jckinnick »

That's a hassle.
Open Office 3.2.0 (OOO320m12 Build 9483) Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Why do you need a username and password for each section

Post by Hagar Delest »

What do you mean by each section?

This forum is hosted by Sun/Oracle servers but not managed by the OOo team. We are just users like you running this forum. That's why it has a different user base from the main OOo web site. But if the username name is not already use, you can have the same login (with same password of course).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cibes

Post by Cibes »

If I got this right (and please tell me I'm wrong) you need an extra account not only for the forums but also for the wiki. The account on the mainsite seems to be of hardly any use. I'm not gonna get 5 accounts for one site in order to update that age-old wiki-article I'm just reading ...
If the site's ever gonna be redesigned getting all in one account would be a big thing to consider.

Probably I'm in the wrong place here to suggest this but anyway ...
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem is that each section is managed by a different team (Issue tracker, wiki, ...) and this forum has been added only a couple of years ago. Moreover, the team running this forum is made of volunteers, with no link at all with Sun/Oracle. Somehow the idea to be hosted on the Sun servers went its way and eventually got real.

I guess that would be too much work now to merge the users databases.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

I am the guy who looks after the forums, and as Hagar says for you guys and no other rewards. Identity unification was floated from day one. However, this would take coordination and effort. These tend to be limited in a free product. Resources tend to get focussed on hard product features. Sorry
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.