Basic Rules discussion

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

Basic Rules discussion

Post by acknak »

This started over here: Re: Calc > Chart is locked?; I thought maybe it should have it's own thread.

Is this working? I never thought it would solve the problem, but the level of posts that break one or more of these is suggesting to me that people are not even seeing them.

Drew: do we have a mechanism where people see these when they register? If not, I think we really need that soon, since so many are registering now.

If we're going to deal with a high volume, we can't spend have the time asking people what OS they're using.

Also, I really think we need a version that has (essentially) the headers:
1. Search the Forum before posting
2. Tag your threads when it has been [Solved]
3. Basic information needed
4. No flames
5. Explicit titles for threads
6. One issue, one thread

I'll bet that most people directed to the current page (Please read first the basic rules of the forum) will not read half of it. It just looks like a lot of material, even though it's not. We need to have a version that will fit on one screen and that takes no more than, oh, 15seconds to read. Maybe each one could link to the individual rules where there is some more info, but that should be optional.

Also, I think maybe we'd better use a different phrase than "basic rules"--I think it just turns people off before they even start reading. It also feels harsh to me to tell someone to "go read the rules". Maybe something like "Survival Guide" or "Six Keys for Using the Forums" or "Help Us Help You".

Here's a shot at a one screen summary:

This is not customer service. We're here to try and help, not to take your complaints.
Try a search first. Enter one or two words in the search box (upper right corner). Think of all the time you'll save if your answer is already there!
Tell us what OS you're using. OOo runs on Windows, Macs, Linux and more. Tell us which one you're using.
Give your message a good title. The gist of your question should be clear from the title. "Page Numbering" is better than "I need help".
Tell us when your issue is SOLVED. Add "[SOLVED]" to the title of your thread so we know you have a solution.
One issue per thread. Stick to one clear question and you'll get a faster answer.
No flames. If you can't think of something constructive to say, say nothing. Only a fool argues with a fool.

I really think this needs to be a table, or something that gets the headings out in the clear where someone can just skim right down in a few seconds. I just don't know how to lay it out like that in the forum.

That's my preference for order, but they're all important. However, I think it may be too long already--better people should read and retain 3 or 4 than not read or not remember 6 or more. I would vote to drop the last two, and maybe the "good title" one, if necessary. We could move them to a "More Tips" section or something.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
saphil
Volunteer

Re: Basic Rules discussion

Post by saphil »

Put the "one-screen summary at the top of your post, and it's perfect.

-Wolf
LibreOffice-7.3.5.2 - OOO-4.1.2 - Ubuntu 22.04 - Pop!OS 22.04 - Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've modified the 'basic rules' thread, is it better ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes! Hagar that's a great way to do it--I never even thought about doing it the simple way, but that works fine I think.

The only other suggestion I would make is to use a contrasting color for the headings. I think some kind of red will not look out of place:
---------
Give your message a good title
The gist of your question should be clear from the title. "Page Numbering" is better than "I need help".
---------
(That's "color=#CC0000" which is not in the color picker.)

That should make it very easy to slide right down the list.

Nice work--thank you for doing that.

Do you think it will help? I hope so. We certainly don't want to turn people off or scare them away.

I wonder how we can tell? It would be great if we had some way to get feedback from people--I think they will only use "Site Feedback" if they are having a problem.
saphil
Volunteer

Post by saphil »

Hagar, thanks. That is better than I was envisioning.

-Wolf Halton
LibreOffice-7.3.5.2 - OOO-4.1.2 - Ubuntu 22.04 - Pop!OS 22.04 - Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:Do you think it will help? I hope so. We certainly don't want to turn people off or scare them away.
Yes, I do (think that it helps - my avatar could imply I wanted to scare them :mrgreen: ). I got my first inspiration from the French forum rules (haven't kept all of them however) and I can tell that no user complain at all about these rules over there.

Especially with the 'executive summary', that's not a big deal to read. I've added the color to the thread.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nice! Thanks again, Hagar. I think that will make it really easy for people to get the basics.
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Hi,

Reading this thread, I wondered : where is this Basic rules page I have never seen ?

It took me a while; because I saw nothing in the Board index page; and nothing when creating a new thread ; and nothing in the FAQ (though I stopped reading it after a few lines).

Finally I found it.
So you suppose that all users will read the Beginner's forum? And read the first postit there before asking their question?
Sorry to remember you that more and more people are getting used with PHBB forums and will directly post their question directly in the right(or wrong) forum.

I think these basic rules should be reminded whenever the user creates a new thread: aftrer clicking for a new thread this Basic rules page would appear, and the user would have to go down the page and click again to have the new thread editing panel.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

I think these basic rules should be reminded whenever the user creates a new thread: aftrer clicking for a new thread this Basic rules page would appear, and the user would have to go down the page and click again to have the new thread editing panel.
I think that would be much to much interference.

The rules, suggestions anyway, should be available but not 'in your face' IMO.

One change to happen this weekend is a PM that will be displayed to every newly registered user asking them to read over that post A second is that they could be changed to a global announcement, if that where done then the subject line would be at the top of every forum list - but not at the display for a enter subject page.

In fact let me make that change now and let me know what you think of that.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

DrewJensen wrote:In fact let me make that change now and let me know what you think of that.
I tried to make it global but I'm missing something.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

me too...

OK - that is fixed - when I changed access rights yesterday somehow I removed the admin and moderator groups from all of the getting started forums...

I changed the announcement to global status also.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04