[Solved] No "NEW TOPIC' button

Let us know how we are doing -
neilhmurphy

[Solved] No "NEW TOPIC' button

Post by neilhmurphy »

Every time I come here I cannot find a NEW TOPIC button. This is particularly annoying when I think I've got a bug to report. In CALC if one codes POWER(8;1/3) and 8^1/3 the results are different 2 vs 2.67 .
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Neil H Murphy
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7 x64 pro
MrProgrammer

Re: No "NEW TOPIC' button

Post by MrProgrammer »

neilhmurphy wrote:Every time I come here I cannot find a NEW TOPIC button.
That is not an OpenOffice problem. The forum has more than 88 thousand topics. Most others are able to find it.
Button.gif
And it seems as if you, in fact, did find the New Topic button since you have created a new topic.
NewTopic.png
neilhmurphy wrote:I think I've got a bug to report.
Reporting bugs or suggestions
neilhmurphy wrote:In CALC if one codes POWER(8;1/3) and 8^1/3 the results are different 2 vs 2.67.
Yes, of course. Read [Tutorial] Order of Operations in Calc. The value of the former expression is the cube root of 8. The value of the latter expression is one third of 8¹.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The New Topic button only appears on appropriate pages. Topics can only be posted in forums or sub-forums so the New Topic button only appears on forum/sub-forum pages which list the topics in that forum/sub-forum. No New Topic button appears on the Board Index page or on existing topic pages because new topics can not be posted there.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

In CALC if one codes POWER(8;1/3) and 8^1/3 the results are different 2 vs 2.67 .
Of course the results are different, according to the sequence of the operations. The power has a higher order than the division:
=8^1/3 = (8^1)/3 = 8/3 = 2.6666666666

I suppose that you want to calculate the formula:
=8^(1/3) = 2

Use the parentheses if you not know the proper order of the operations.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.