[Solved] Opening a WPS document

Discuss the word processor
Ginridge

[Solved] Opening a WPS document

Post by Ginridge »

I am a Mac user with a Macbook pro running OS X 10.11.6 (El Captitan). I have a number of older documents created in Microsoft Works that have a .WPS extension that no longer open up on the mac(though they did in older versions of the OS). I was told to download the OpenOffice program by an Apple tech who got it to open these WPS files a few days ago. When I tried today, I was unable to get them to open up and I am hoping one of you folks out there can help me out. Whenever I try to open the file, a drop down box asks me to select a filter, but none match the WPS extension (I've tried any I thought might have a chance with no luck!). I do not see a drop down for "all" anywhere and I can't find anything about a WPS extension in any of the help files.

As I recall it was extremely simple before, but I must be missing a step somewhere in the process.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Mac OS 10.11.6
robleyd

Re: Opening A WPS document

Post by robleyd »

OpenOffice doesn't seem to have a filter to open Works files, but LibreOffice does - perhaps that is the application the tech was using?

Alternatively, you could use a third party conversion site such as http://www.zamzar.com to convert your Works files as needed.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Ginridge

Post by Ginridge »

Aha! Yes, there is also a copy of LibreOffice that we downloaded as well. I didn't recall that until you mentioned it!

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Mac OS 10.11.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It's been a while, but I think I recall the WPS filter being removed from OpenOffice after (about) version 3.3
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One can use the free online service at http://www.zamzar.com to convert such formats.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS