Convert StarOffice to OpenOffice

Discuss the spreadsheet application
emrecio

Convert StarOffice to OpenOffice

Post by emrecio »

I have some updated information that I wanted to add to a spreadsheet created under staroffice, and I just found out that I cannot open sdw/sdc files under OpenOffice. So I did a listing of all old star office docs, and noticed that I had 213 of them. How do I convert all these files over to OpenOffice format?
OpenOffice 4.6 on OpenSuSE
RoryOF

Re: Convert StarOffice to OpenOffice

Post by RoryOF »

The easiest way may be to download an early version of OO 3 and use it to convert the files, then remove it and install a later version of Oo for daily use.

But if you haven''t touched the files in that long, do you really need to use them?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Drop OpenOffice and use the LibreOffice version that comes with your distribution. I use LibreOffice 6.0 on Ubuntu and it lets me open sdw (Legacy StarOffice Writer) and sdc (Legacy StarOffice Calc). IMHO, there is no reason to install Apache OpenOffice on a Linux system.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

OpenSUSE libreOffice can read Staroffice documents. Maybe you have to install, with Yast, some packets. When I select LibreStaroffice-tools for installation Yast add some packets which I accept and it was working.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
gracehadid

Post by gracehadid »

An effective method is to check the latest version and start work.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04