Saving my file results in crash

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
deadshot

Saving my file results in crash

Post by deadshot »

i write.. i use apache open office.. haven't had any problems for two years or more.. now, when i hit 'save', apache crashes.. it's been doin' it for about three weeks.. tried updating and i get 'update search failed'.. i have v4.1.5 and i believe that's the current one.. seems like it would say something to that effect rather than 'failed'.

i'm trying to publish my work but can't get it to 'save'.. it says, when i open apache next, it will show my work with latest changes but it comes up with portions out of place and sometimes with a blank page included in the 324 pages that are s'posed to be there.. i have to proofread the whole thing over again to ensure it's correct - and then it crashes again when i hit 'save'.

i have win 10 / i use slimjet browser (if that matters).

help!!
open office v4.1.5 / win 10
RoryOF

Re: saving my file results in crash

Post by RoryOF »

There are many reports that some recent Win 10 update(s) caused problems with OpenOffice. Let Win 10 fully update - the latest versions of these updates appear to have fixed the problems; then restart your computer and see if the problem persists.

You could also start Windows in Safe Mode, run OO when Windows is in that mode; if it runs OK in that mode then the problem is some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode, and you need to isolate (and remove) that application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: saving my file results in crash

Post by John_Ha »

Resetting the User Profile may fix it. See reset the user profile. When copying back, copy back all the sub-folders except do not copy back \config. Also do not copy back the registrymodifications.xcu file. They are where the corruption lies.

If that does not fix it then It could be a corrupted or "tangled" file. Your document is large (hundreds of pages) and has no doubt been edited many, many times which causes the "tangles". Try this ...

1 File > New text document ..., and create a new text document
2 Insert > from file ..., and pull in the document.
3 Save the new document under a new name.

Your document probably has footnotes and/or endnotes, a Table of Contents and an Index, all of which means it takes a long time - 30? 40? more? seconds - to lay out, during which time the page count (bottom left) varies. For an in depth investigation of a similar problem see [Solved] AOO stops responding when opening this one document.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

If all else fails upload the file to a file share site, or send me a copy of the file for me to analyse. I have sent you my email ID.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.