Has OpenOffice died?

Not sure where to post? Post here!

Has OpenOffice died?

Postby O0jl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 am

I keep getting "Bad Allocation," Calc & Writer, at the most horrific times since this is somewhat unpredictable though a clue is given by the cursor doing somewhat erratic movement that is slow (?). Also, when attempting to do an update: Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .

I uninstalled and downloaded from sourceforge and reinstalled.

I also notice the wiki is not being kept up-to-date and there are few if any current entries in the EN forum. Has the project died after 4.1.5?
OpenOffice version 4.1.5 and Windows 10
O0jl

Re: Has OpenOffice died?

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 am

...Or the Windows 10 is dead.

There are many issues about the W10 updates:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 90#p451449

Or you can try the LibreOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Lupp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Well, W10 and its updates are an issue (wrong singular?) sui generis.
However, I am using AOO 4.1.5 since its release on Win10, mainly for tests concerning forum issues and comparisons with LibO, and don't know the problem except in cases where I provoked it experimenting with risky user code. In fact the behaviour od AOO is sometimes more stable...

In your case I would suggest you try resetting the user profile. It is not touched by uninstall/reinstall if you not explicitly delete it. Be careful to not lose templates and skripts, if any.

Thoroughly read https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... er_Profile first.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Indeed, it could be a Windows issue or something with your user profile, nevertheless Apache OpenOffice is a walking dead.
StarOffice_major_derivatives.png
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Lupp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 pm

LibreOffice is NOT the solution in the given case, and its not the general solution.
And MS Office surely isn't a solution for anything. (Check the web for their problems with Office on Windows alone.)

We need to find ways out of the new software dilemma as we had to find ways out of any former crisis.
(I will not be among the "we" in this struggle.)

Such a discussion should, however, find a better location than in the 'Beginners' branch.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Does LO have any allocation problems after Windows update, broken profiles or not finding the update information?
I run LO on a group of Windows machines without a single problem. I would prefer AOO over LO because of certain questionable new features in LO. The problem with AOO is that a software of this size and complexity falls apart when development comes to halt while the environments proceed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby O0jl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:31 am

My reply disappeared and sent me back to the login page. It was a thanks for the input. Guess I will have to point my nose in a direction that offers a solution that I can touch today.
OpenOffice version 4.1.5 and Windows 10
O0jl

Postby Danniella » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:12 am

If OpenOffice is not coming in new versions, which path is then recommended to go? LO? or which version comes closest to OO in terms of functionality?
OpenOffice 4.1.5. on Win10
Working as Sugaring expert in a skincare clinic.
Danniella

Postby Villeroy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

Since 2011 LO is the successor of OpenOffice. At that time both programs where almost identical and only LO was under active development since then. Most OpenOffice developers switched over to LO and contrary to AOO, LO was very successful in recruiting volunteers.

The native ODF file format is the same.
LO can handle more foreign file formats and it handles them way better than AOO.
There are many things I don't like in LO, mainly I would complain about too many questionable features for the really dull users. For me personally there is no alternative since AOO crashes with most of my documents having database forms. This happens on Linux only. I use database forms a lot and I develop them on a Linux computer.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby tochabu » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Hopefully, this will help someone. I just moved all my software and data from an older HP laptop to a new one using LapLink PCmover. When I tried to open a 783 page document with OO Writer ver 4.1.5, I got a Bad Allocation error. I reset the user profile. It didn't help. I copied the document to a flash drive and successfully opened it on the older laptop. I ran the OO install program and selected the repair option. This also didn't work. I found that there was a BIOS update for my laptop. After updating the BIOS, it seems to be working properly. I was able to open the 783 page document, edit it and save it.
OOo 4.1.5.X on MS Windows 10
tochabu

Postby Markdc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am

Open Office can never be dead. It provides license-free operating system usability to users. Widely used by startup and new enterprises who are on a budget.
open office 4.1.5
Markdc

Postby Villeroy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Markdc wrote:Open Office can never be dead. It provides license-free operating system usability to users. Widely used by startup and new enterprises who are on a budget.

OpenOffice is falling apart as its various runtime environments evolve.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Beginners