[Solved] Spreadsheet -- create shortcut key to insert rows

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Andynic

[Solved] Spreadsheet -- create shortcut key to insert rows

Post by Andynic »

I read this post and followed the instructions substituting "rows" for "columns" assigning ^R for insert row:
=======
Re: shortcut to insert rows?

Postby kingfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 am
In my version of Open Office, there are no shortcut keys to insert rows or columns. You can create shortcuts using Tools > Customise > Keyboard tab.

On that tab, in the box labelled 'Category' select 'Insert'. In the next box (labelled 'Function'), scroll down to 'Insert Columns', for example. In the top box labelled "Shortcut Keys," select a shortcut you wish to use. Press the button labelled 'Modify' and the name of the function you have allocated to the shortcut keys will appear in the box at the bottom right labelled 'Keys'. When you have finished allocating shortcuts, press 'OK'.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 (64 bit) on PCLinuxOS
=======

When I come back into the spreadsheet, it does not insert rows. ^R writes R in the cell in column A of the highlighted row ^r writes r in the cell --

What might I be doing incorrectly.

Thanks for your help.
Andynic
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice v 4.1.5
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5 on Macbook
Andynic

Re: Spreadsheet -- creating a shortcut key

Post by Andynic »

Just realized that in my version of Open Office, insert row already has a shortcut, namely holding down the option key and typing R.
Still, should not what I've done above, enable ^R?
OpenOffice v 4.1.5
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5 on Macbook
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This works for me:
Calc_Shortcut.png
Strg is the German equivalent of Ctrl.
In the top-right corner you have to choose "Calc" rather than "OpenOffice". There are not many shortcuts making sense throughout the whole office suite.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Andynic wrote:shortcut to insert rows?
See Help → Index → shortcut keys;spreadsheets. There is a standard shortcut ⌘+ for this on your Mac and no need for you to create one.
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 23.43.24 .png
Here's how ⌘+ works:
• If N complete rows are selected, ⌘+ inserts N empty rows before them
• If N complete columns are selected, ⌘+ inserts N empty columns before them
• Otherwise ⌘+ opens the Insert Cells dialog.
So, to insert a row before row 5, I click the 5 at the left side of the screen to select row 5 then press ⌘+.
Or if a cell in row 5 is selected but not the entire row, I hold Shift and press the spacebar to select row 5, then press ⌘+.
Andynic wrote:I read this post and followed the instructions substituting "rows" for "columns" assigning ^R for insert row
Control key not recognized on Mac

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).