Highjacking Open Office

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bassbum

Highjacking Open Office

Post by bassbum »

I attempted to open my files created with Open Office using Windows 10 and those files have been blocked by Microsoft software. When attempting to open the file, the file opens under WORD instead of Open Office but headers come up demanding I purchase a subscription to be able to get into the files.
If this isn't ransom ware, I don't know what is. I've got three years work in those files.
Is there a way around this?? Would 4.1.5 solve the problem??
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Highjacking Open Office

Post by RoryOF »

A Windows update has set the default program for these files to Microsoft Office. Set the default program back to OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Do not use MS file types: .dox, .xls.

Use the International Standard ODF filetypes: .odt, .ods. Those are assigned to the Apache OpenOffice by default.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

See https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change- ... ws-2624477 for help to change the file associations.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs. Choose AOO and give AOO all its defaults.
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard03.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.