When importing PDF file into OpenOffice formatting is lost

Discuss the word processor
ajax12

When importing PDF file into OpenOffice formatting is lost

Post by ajax12 »

After importing a PDF file into Apache Openoffice 4.1.5 the text and text boxes are not lined up. File opens fine in Adobe and Libre office
How can I resolve please.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: When importing PDF file into Openoffice formatting is lo

Post by RusselB »

Since you state that it opens fine in LibreOffice, my suggestion would be to open it in LibreOffice and either work with it there, or save it in an OpenDocument format in LibreOffice and then open the file you just saved in OpenOffice.
The fact that it opens fine in Adobe is not a surprise, as Adobe is designed to open PDF files.
OpenOffice does not have a PDF reader section, and though there is a n extension that allows PDF's to be used in OpenOffice, there have been many reports of the extension either failing, or of other problems when opening the PDF file with the extension in place.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
ajax12

Post by ajax12 »

Many thanks RusselB for the quick reply.
I am sorry but it wasn't Libre office it was Foxit that was used to open the file.
Is there any way I can open in Open office so that I can edit the file? (Remove watermark and add text)
or do I need different software?
I can edit in Openoffice to remove the watermark and align the text with the lines but only a small section of text at a time. one of my files is 60 pages and would literally take days.
It would be brilliant if I can keep original formatting, remove watermark then add text or is this wishful thinking?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The PDF fileformat was not developed for re-editing. It is a "document virtually printed on a virtual paper".

Either AOO nor LO is not PDF editor softwares. You can to make only some "cosmetics" on the PDF files.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial]How do I view or edit a PDF file with OpenOffice?

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To do what you require you may need to use an OCR program (Optical Character Recognition) to return the file to its original text, then reformat and edit as you require, using OO's Export as PDF to generate the new PDF file.

Alternately, if your edit is a self-contained unit, you can write that in OO, Export as PDF, and use a PDF utility to append it to the existing PDF file. That will leave the watermark in the original file section of the new file, which watermark has been put there by the original author for a purpose.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS