[Solved] Can't set font colour to red

Discuss the word processor
Seamstress59

[Solved] Can't set font colour to red

Post by Seamstress59 »

I updated my Apache OpenOffice to 4.1.5. I copy crochet patterns and I sometimes need the red font color for specific things in my pattern. I can't get it to go to red.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 Professional
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't set font colour to red

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you mean in Writer?
If you select the text, then set the color with either the side bar or the menu Character from right click, then Font Effects tab, does it work?

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rbassemir

Post by rbassemir »

Has this been solved? I have the same problem.
In writer if I want to change my font color to let's say red in mid sentence, I thought I could just click the Font Color icon on the tool bar (that has a red underline beneath it). However the font color does not change.

I am using OpenOffice 4.1.2 (writer). I tried it on a different computer running OpenOffice 4.1.5 and it acts the same way. I can not change the font color mid sentence.

I am able to select a word, then click on the Font Color icon on the tool bar and that will change the select text but for the work I am doing in writer I rather be able to select my font color and just type.

Another observation is that when I click on the Font Color icon on the tool bar, and move the cursor back to my document, the cursor turns into that paint fill icon which I thought was odd.

Other functions like highlighting, back ground color, all appear to work. I have gone to tools-> options -> OpenOffice accessibility and tried checking and unchecking that check box for "use automatic font color for screen display" and after saving and returning to the document I have the same problem.

I am 95% sure I changing the font color this way has worked for me in the past.

Anyone else seeing this?

Additional comment (7-27-18): If I try to use OpenOffice Presentation and add text to a slide, the Font color icon on the tool bar works as I would expect. I can change the color of my text mid sentence just by clicking on the Font color icon and when the mouse moves over the slide I don't see the cursor change to that paint bucket icon. So I believe my problem is just with Writer but I am at a loss on how to correct the behavior.
rtb
OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In Writer, Font Colour button applies the colour to the selected text. If you wish to change the colour for new text, either select a Paragraph or Character style, with font colour set on Font Effects tab, Font colour dropdown.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rbassemir

Post by rbassemir »

It is odd that the behavior of that Font Color icon is different between writer and presentation but it is what it is. Thank you for the replay, that answers it for me.
rtb
OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 10