Why does Writer not remember the last location used

Discuss the word processor
billonthehil

Why does Writer not remember the last location used

Post by billonthehil »

Why does Writer not remember the last location used for "save as" anymore? I have tried all the other Open Office programs, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing, Database and Formula. They all go back to the last folder used for a "save as". Writer does not. It used to early last week (2-5 to 9, 2018) but now goes to the "Documents" folder for each new "Save as".
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.248
RoryOF

Re: Why does Writer not remember the last location used

Post by RoryOF »

In /Tools /Options : User Data enter your name and initials and it will remember.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
billonthehil

Post by billonthehil »

Rory,

It was already in there. I filled out the address, city, state & zip code. It still has the same reaction. Goes to "Documents" folder on a new "save as".
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

My 4.1.5 always offers me the last used save folder when going File > Save As ..., File > Save ..., or clicking the Save icon ..., so it is a problem with your PC or your AOO configuration. Are there any settings in Tools > Options?

Are you using Windows Defender - if so is it preventing your saving to some locations?

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile. First try closing AOO and deleting C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu" - it is where the path is stored. Start AOO. Save a file. Now save another. Is the first path offered?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A work-around, that has worked in the past with recalcitrant OO settings, is to uncheck the setting, close OpenOffice (including the Quickstarter) and restart OO. Then make the setting again, once more close and restart; the setting may now stick. No one knows why this works (when it does). On the very few occasions I have needed to do this (7-8 years ago), I actually closed OO and rebooted the computer, using the correct computer close-down procedure. Some users will say that this reboot is not necessary, but I'm old school and use old tricks.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
billonthehil

Post by billonthehil »

I tried this. Deleted the registry modifications file. Rebooted. Same result. I used the correct shut down procedure. I always do.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you use the AOO dialogs (Tools>Options>OpenOffice>General>Open/Save dialogs)? It may help.
But on mt xubuntu system at least, it makes no difference, each save as points to folder where the active document is saved. And for new documents, it points to the My documents set in the options.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
billonthehil

Post by billonthehil »

I just tried that. It goes to the "Documents" folder also. Then, getting to the one I last used is even worse
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

billonthehil wrote:Then, getting to the one I last used is even worse
You call File>Save As... and the file selection starts in the folder where the current file lives. What's wrong with that?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
billonthehil

Post by billonthehil »

But you see, I doesn't take me to the last folder that I saved to. It goes to the "Documents" folder. The folder I need is on the "desktop". That is up one level from the "Documents" folder. Then I can select the "Desktop" folder that I want, Once I can get to the "Desktop", I can select the folder, and subfolder I want to save to. Early last week, this was the folder that it went to when I hit "Save To". So, it's a lot more involved using the AOO dialogs.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I see.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
billonthehil

Post by billonthehil »

This has not been solved as of yet. If anyone has more ideas, I'm open for them. Why does Writer not remember the last location used for "save as" anymore? I have tried all the other Open Office programs, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing, Database and Formula. They all go back to the last folder used for a "save as". Writer does not. It used to early last week (2-5 to 9, 2018) but now goes to the "Documents" folder for each new "Save as".