Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Discuss the word processor

Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Postby LauraS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

Please help me!
I am desperately seeking a new job and have spent hours updating my resume to a modern looking format/layout. I am not very experienced with Open Office and have found that the document that I painstakingly crafted (that looks great as the .odt version) does not seem to display well if opened with another program: Word, Google docs, etc. I realize that as I am applying online for most positions, the hiring manager will most likely not be using Open Office. Also, I want to get some printed at Staples or Office Depot but am worried that I'll have the same issue. I've attached a copy of the file in question.

Sincere thanks for your help,
Laura
Attachments
LSresume-hospitality2017a.odt
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Known Issue icon - robleyd
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
LauraS

Re: Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Postby robleyd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am

G'day, and welcome to the community forum.

One of your issues may be that you have used fonts which are not necessarily available on all systems. There are also some issues with compatibility when saving AOO Witer documents in MS Word format - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for more information.

Given that you probably don't want or need those to whom you are sending the resume to be able to edit it, you might consider providing it in PDF format via File | Export as PDF.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Re: Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Postby LauraS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

Hi there!
Thank you so much for your help. I'll read the article and try to export it as PDF.

Thanks again :)
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
LauraS

Return to Writer