[Solved] Email addresses become unwanted links in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kharrisma

[Solved] Email addresses become unwanted links in Calc

Post by kharrisma »

Hi Folks

OO newbie here.... I'm creating a spreadsheet that has just a few columns: account name, associated email address, username, password, and other. What's happening is, every time I type in an email address (I have two of them), it automatically becomes a link to my email client (Thunderbird, in this case), and any time I click on the cell to try to re-format it so it ISN'T a link, it just opens a "Write" box in Thunderbird. Annoying as all get-out.

I Just want the email text I enter into the cell to display as just plain text, not become a link. How can I do this? Multiple searches of the site here return lots of hits, but of the opposite kind... people wanting to mass-export lists of email addresses (that presumably are formatted as links in the cells) to some other app. That ain't what I'm looking for, hence the new post.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on Windows 10 (ecchhh!) and Linux Mint
RusselB

Re: email addresses become unwanted links in Calc

Post by RusselB »

While I'm still looking for a way to allow you to enter the e-mail addresses without them turning into links, a work around is to enter the address(es), then highlight the cell(s) and press Ctrl+m in order to have the cells take on the default formatting.
My experiments show that pressing Ctrl+m will remove the hyperlink formatting, leaving the text.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

kharrisma wrote:I Just want the email text I enter into the cell to display as just plain text, not become a link.
RusselB wrote:While I'm still looking for a way to allow you to enter the e-mail addresses without them turning into links …
How to prevent automatic styling of cell content

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
kharrisma

Post by kharrisma »

Thanks, MrProgrammer! Bingo, problem solved!
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on Windows 10 (ecchhh!) and Linux Mint
janesla

Re: [Solved]] email addresses become unwanted links in Calc

Post by janesla »

Excellent solution. Now how do I copy a list of email addresses in Calc into an email? They are copying as one big chunk rather than as separate addresses. THank you.
open office 3.1 on windows 8