Missing Files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Missing Files

Postby mamabetties » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:11 am

Hello, I have open office 4 on my computer and today it updated automatically and when i logged in to find a file everything was gone. Can someone help me find the missing files?
Open office 4 on windows 10
mamabetties

Re: Missing Files

Postby RusselB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 am

When you say the files are gone, do you mean they have been actually deleted from your hard drive, or are they just not showing in a menu system?

Check your default saving directory for the files.
If you still can't find them, try using Recuva to recover deleted files
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby mamabetties » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 am

When I try and open up the spreadsheet document everything comes up with ###### all over the page. I’m doing a system reset to see if that helps
Open office 4 on windows 10
mamabetties

Postby RusselB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:51 am

OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 am

mamabetties wrote:Hello, I have open office 4 on my computer and today it updated automatically and when i logged in to find a file everything was gone. Can someone help me find the missing files?

OpenOffice does _not_ update automatically - one must specifically download and install any update. The update may have been an automatic Windows update; if this happens when OpenOffice is open, who can say what the effect will be? I suggest removing (Control Panel, Add/Remove programs) OpenOffice. Restart your computer after this, then reinstall OO from a fresh download, only from
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Edit: Any OO file open at the time of this forced update by Windows will most likely be corrupt and irrecoverable 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting