[Solved] How to create nested array functions

Discuss the spreadsheet application
middle

[Solved] How to create nested array functions

Post by middle »

Hello thanks in advance for anyone who sheds light on this for me.

I'm working on a linear algebra problem which requires the computation of the following: M * (M' * M)^-1 * M' * Y
where M is a matrix, or array
M' is the transpose of that array
^-1 means MINVERSE()
Y is a column vector
and * stands for matrix multiplication

I have been calculating each part of this (M', then M'M, (M'M)^-1, M'Y, (M'M)^-1 M'Y, then the final result) individually and combining them in the end, but I'm seeking a more efficient approach.

I tried a few variations of this: =MMULT(Y;MINVERSE(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(Y);Y));TRANSPOSE(Y);X)
Where M is a matrix and Y is a column vector.

So far I've had no luck - is there some way of doing this or am I going to have to keep calculating these steps separately?

See attachment for an example. The purpose of this idea is to create a function that tries to mimic or match the vector Y. I wish to then use that function to do other things.
Attachments
forum_help1.ods
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Last edited by middle on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: How to create nested array functions

Post by jrkrideau »

It's been so long since I did anything like that I can hardly read your equation.

I am not sure that a spreadsheet it is the right tool for something like this. Have you had a look at something like Sage?

It seems to be an open-source alternative to Mathematica or Maple or Matlab and probably is a better application for your purpose.
Last edited by jrkrideau on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
middle

Post by middle »

I will check out Sage - thank you for the suggestion!

It does seem like Calc would benefit from more efficient matrix manipulation.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

middle wrote:I'm working on a linear algebra problem which requires the computation of the following: M * (M' * M)^-1 * M' * Y
Your attachment shows M in C3:I12 and Y in A3:A12, so:
=MMULT(C3:I12;MMULT(MINVERSE(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(C3:I12);C3:I12));MMULT(TRANSPOSE(C3:I12);A3:A12)))
middle in cell D3 wrote:=IF(ISEVEN(D$2)="TRUE";SIN($B3*(D$2));COS($B3*(D$2)))
Do you understand that the test ISEVEN(x$2)="TRUE" is always false? You have a number (0 or 1) on the left side of the equal sign and four characters of text on the right side of the equal sign. Numbers are always less than text. You may benefit from reading [Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know. if you intend to test whether D$2 is even, the correct formula would be =IF(ISEVEN(D$2);SIN($B3*D$2);COS($B3*D$2)) where I've removed some unneeded parentheses too.
middle wrote:=MMULT(Y;MINVERSE(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(Y);Y));TRANSPOSE(Y);X)
Currently, a*b*c*d must be written as =MMULT(a;MMULT(b;MMULT(c;d))) since =MMULT(a;b;c;d) is not supported.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
middle

Post by middle »

MrProgrammer,

Thanks very much - you saved me a lot of time!

And thanks for the beginners tutorial; I probably should have searched for something like that before jumping right into my project.