Using it

Discuss the word processor
richardburrows

Using it

Post by richardburrows »

I ve recently downloaded this programme as I was told its a basic word package. To be honest Im having horrendous difficulty using it - its not intuitive in the least and has basic elements on the toolbars missing - font size for example. I ve just had to google how to change font size because the icon dosent exist on the toolbar - why?? -Amazingly, it described a 9 step process. Im not trying to launch rockets here people - im merely tying some words! On trying to follow it , it didnt work as the steps it described didnt exist. Can anyone tell me if this is expected to get easier or is this mad arrangement typical of this system - sadly, if so Il have to stump up the cash and go back to microsoft. Unbelievable . Do people actually use this and can anything be produced in reasonable time??

The ultimate idignity is that when you try to edit the note Ive just done by emboldening it - it inserts brackets and numbers! What the hells that all about? copying a smiley to finish your note - doesnt work either . left click on the list of smileys simply results in a word appearing not a smiley - totally crap!
?What is sigOpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04nature??>?
RoryOF

Re: Using it

Post by RoryOF »

In the program what does /Help /About tell is its name and version?

This document may be helpful:
Writer for students (several languages)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

richardburrows wrote:I ve recently downloaded this programme as I was told its a basic word package.
There is no "basic word package" in this office suite. Whatever you have downloaded, it is not OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

its not intuitive in the least and has basic elements on the toolbars missing - font size for example. I ve just had to google how to change font size because the icon dosent exist on the toolbar - why?? -Amazingly, it described a 9 step process.
Where downloaded the installer package from?
Can you upload a screenshot about your strange software?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

People are using it. Some of us actually find it easier and more efficient to use than other similar software. It is a matter of habit, perhaps. After reading the linked guide, feel free to ask more questions, or choose an application that suits you better.

As for the note you mentioned "just done", I suspect that it was your posting here in the forum, not something you did in the wordprocessing application. This is a web forum. Those codes you see instead of smileys and bolding are the building blocks of web pages (more or less). The forum editor is not wysiwyg because that would make it less reliable/more "platform dependent". You need to click the "Preview" button to see the text formatted and the smilies smiling. Click Submit (which you already did) and we will see it too.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please tell us what "this programme" is. You can usually find the program name and version number by opening the program and selecting Help > About. The problems you describe don't sound anything like Apache OpenOffice Writer which is supported on this forum and works in a way similar to MS Word.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the OOo v3.3 Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Font size is not missing - it is on the main toolbar. AOO is fully user configurable - if you have switched off the toolbar, switch it back on with View > Toolbars ....

Did you download it from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html? If not you may have got a very non-standard version!!

AOO is not a "basic word package". AOO is a very powerful and comprehensive word processor, spreadsheet, database, draw and presentation application. If you want a basic text editor you can use without reading the manual, stick with Notepad.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.