Digital Bulletin Board

Discuss the presentation application
Cliffyerex

Digital Bulletin Board

Post by Cliffyerex »

Searched about Digital Bulletin Board, but doesn't seem to be anything on it. Can Open Office Impress be made into a digital bulletin board or would I be best off to see free software? I'm a novice.
Cliff
Windows 10 Open Office 4.1.2
acknak

Re: Digital Bulletin Board

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

What is a digital bulletin board? Maybe you could point to an example?

If it's something people would access over the web, then I don't think OO is going to be much help with it. Well, you could use OO to make content (text, images) but that's about all it does.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Cliffyerex

Post by Cliffyerex »

The Digital Bulletin Board or Signage is what you would see in many foyers that would post to clients or tourists a calendar of activities, bulletins of events. Some would have a scrolling feature or fade out with a banner at the bottom that might scroll or such. My purpose is for a 55+ life lease building with an amenities floor where we have dinners, lectures, gym activities, library and even small concerts for about 80 people or so.
I found this one, but it seems to need the web to operate. http://www.digitalsignage.com/
We wished to use an old computer with Windows XP to run the program. We have a 40" HD LED TV for this purpose. We mounted it near the elevators and mailboxes for best exposure.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok. So some people have asked about using OO Impress for this, which is similar to MS Powerpoint.

However, Impress does not do well with an automatic, never-ending presentation. You have to start the presentation manually; if it stops for any reason, it has to be restarted manually. If you can live with that, then it may work for you.

There may be some macro programs around that help with starting/re-starting. I know it's been discussed but I don't know what the status is.

Alternatively, if your needs are simple (just static slides, no animations), then you might use OO to create a series of images and then use a slide show software to display them. Or same with pdf; you just need a pdf viewer that can loop continually.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Cliffyerex

Post by Cliffyerex »

Thanks for your assistance :D