OpenOffice for tablets

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
Hagar Delest

OpenOffice for tablets

Post by Hagar Delest »

Today tablets and smartphones are more and more common. Since a lot of questions are about such platforms, here are some links coming from the many topics already active here.

The official answer (question 9):
Rob Weir in the Apache OpenOffice blog wrote:There is no port of OpenOffice for tablets. However, there are some 3rd party solutions that allow remote access to an OpenOffice session.
iPad
  • http://www.rollapp.com/openoffice, openOffice on iPad; note that this is a Web app, not an on-your-iPad app; therefore it's only usable if you have internet access
  • OliveOffice allows you to view (but not edit) odt files
  • IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer allows you to view (but not edit) odt, ods, and odp files
  • Documents 2 Unlimited by Appsverse connects you to a cloud-based OpenOffice, so as long as you have an internet connection, you can edit OpenOffice documents.
Android
  • AndrOpen Office is the world's first port of OpenOffice for Android (AndrOpen Office is not affiliated with the Apache OpenOffice project).
  • OpenDocument Reader; ODF viewer on Android. Formerly known as OpenOffice Document Reader, allows you to read your ODF documents wherever you are.
  • Androffice; Androffice is a project that aims to become an office suite for Android (a software development platform for mobile devices created by the Open Handset Alliance). In principle we are just working with the Open Document formats, used today in Open Office and other platforms.
  • Office Documents Viewer; formerly Mobile Documents Viewer. Small and fast OpenOffice.org and (with limitations) Microsoft Office 2007 document viewing application.
Connex links
  • OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android? One of the most active topics on the subject.
  • WebODF, work with your office files in the cloud, on the desktop and on your mobile. Android market with ports to iPhone and other mobile platforms coming
 Edit: NB: this post will be updated with other posters contributions. 
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kabing
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice for tablets

Post by kabing »

A few more options for the iPad:
OliveOffice allows you to view (but not edit) odt files
IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer allows you to view (but not edit) odt, ods, and odp files
Documents 2 Unlimited by Appsverse connects you to a cloud-based OpenOffice, so as long as you have an internet connection, you can edit OpenOffice documents.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
henke54

Post by henke54 »

Hagar Delest wrote:http://www.rollapp.com/openoffice, openOffice on iPad; note that this is a Web app, not an on-your-iPad app; therefore it's only usable if you have internet access
Devindra Hardawar at venturebeat.com wrote:One year after its launch, RollApp has raised $1 million of funding to build out its platform for running Windows and Linux apps on any device with a web browser (yes, even the iPad).

RollApp debuted last year at the DEMO Spring conference by showing off how its technology can run Open Office applications on the iPad. Now, with its traffic up 50-fold, in the last eight months, the company will use the funding to push its technology out of beta and towards mainstream users.
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
fiona_williams

Post by fiona_williams »

Surely will love to have an OpenOffice soon in my Android tablet.. Cool!
Apache Open Office 4.0.1 on Windows 8
awk

Post by awk »

Hi.
So just to clarify. I have a HP ElitePad 900 with Windows 8, this is HP's enterprise tablet. I have not downloaded OpenOffice yet. Will it work and what verision do I look for the ElitePad.

Thank,
awk
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows on windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

awk wrote:Hi.
So just to clarify. I have a HP ElitePad 900 with Windows 8, this is HP's enterprise tablet. I have not downloaded OpenOffice yet. Will it work and what verision do I look for the ElitePad.

Thank,
awk
MSOffice 2013 works for sure. Reportedly, it can even handle ODF files fairly well.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
awk

Post by awk »

Thanks,but I want use AOO.

awk
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows on windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In theory, the current version of AOO for Windows should work on your HP, since it is using the Windows OS.
Regretfully, the only way to find out for sure, is for you to download and install AOO and then tell us if it worked or not.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jameshacker

Post by jameshacker »

when it is coming...???
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

It’s already there. Search AndrOpenOffice in Google Play.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For information: That version runs only on Android, and is not an official (Apache) port of OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Correct. And, as I remember, the developers of AndrOpenOffice do state that it’s not an official port. However, it works.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Z3nn3R

Post by Z3nn3R »

I find that Openoffice 4.0 seems to work well on the Windows 10 platform, but the issue apparent with tablets is that it does not recognize touch/scroll.

You are required to tap/touch the very small scroller on the side of the screen. MSoffice works well scrolling and tracking with the touch on a tablet, but this can be easily improved upon for OpenOffice in updates as this becomes a more commonly-needed feature.
---
OpenOffice 4.0 / Windows 10 / Asus Transformer
---
TommieGull

Post by TommieGull »

I would like everyone to know that I nearly burst into tears today when I went to the GooglePlay store, searched for Apache OpenOffice, and didn't find it.

Please, we need it.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Search AndrOpenOffice in Google Play.
For information: That version runs only on Android, and is not an official (Apache) port of OpenOffice.
Please note the difference in the name
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Termingamer2-JD

Post by Termingamer2-JD »

@Villeroy ODF is best handled in OpenOffice suites though.

I don't think it should be ported to tablets anyway. Office suites are best intended for the desktop and laptop, not a tablet computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1, Windows XP SP3
jeffl

Post by jeffl »

Some basic editing functions on tablet are convenient and helpful for casual editing. It does not make sense to have a full feature version since no one is going to create a fancy documents from a tablet.
OpenOffice 3.0 Mac OS 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I use AndrOpenOffice on my tablet, and for working with documents made with Apache Open Office, it works fine for the most part.
The biggest problem, imo, is when I want to do something that I'm used to using a mouse for.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

RusselB wrote:I use AndrOpenOffice on my tablet
I do not recommend it for Base, it is not very friendly.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
StarryeyedPaul

Tablets

Post by StarryeyedPaul »

hi, i have open office on my computer and it works fine
however i have a friend who prefers to use a tablet rather than a computer and i'm not much of a tablet user
does anyone know if open office can be used on tablet devices?
thank you
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on windows xp
robleyd

Re: tablets

Post by robleyd »

Have a look at this topic
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed topic link after I merged topics incorrectlhy
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Andrew123

Post by Andrew123 »

Oh thanks! Maybe it will be for the phone too! I really want it on my smartphone
Open Office 4.1
JohnSmith75

Post by JohnSmith75 »

Many thanks, will try on my android tablet!
OpenOffice 2.4 with Linux Mint
advhtg

Post by advhtg »

Hi, under you list of apps for iPad you need to include Office700. It's the only native app that can write open office documents to the local storage and to DropBox. :bravo: The author desperately needs programming help though if there is someone out there who can lend a hand, this software is the best route I've found in turning the iPad into a proper laptop replacement ;)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
JayEgger

Post by JayEgger »

I didn't even realize this was available on iPad. I'll be giving it a shot tonight.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
kerrylowes

Post by kerrylowes »

There is no OpenOffice for iOS but there are apps in the App Store that are compatible with those formats. :)
SeegerRob

Post by SeegerRob »

Does anyone know if there is any problem with Xiaomi tablets and open office? I've heard that with other brands such as BQ there is a continuous struggle to work fluently with Calc. It would be good to know if it happens the same with Xiaomi. Maybe it's just a bug that can easily be solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
ivansloven

Post by ivansloven »

The navigation panel is too small initally on my AndroidOpenOffice 4.01,
only one row is visible of listed haedings.
Does anybody know how to enlarge it?
Openoffice 4.02
Android
Gaurang Sharad

Post by Gaurang Sharad »

You can easily run open office on any device by downloading the supported application for your device OS.
OpenOffice 2.4 on xubuntu
TomTascher

Post by TomTascher »

Hello everyone,

My name is Tom, I'm the author of OpenDocument Reader. Thanks for listing our app in the original post, highly appreciated!

I would like to mention that we recently launched an iOS version of our app too. I don't think there is a big number of iOS users that actually use open-source products like OpenOffice, but we wanted to give it a try anyway. It's a fun project in any case! You can download the app on iOS here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1452061743?mt=8

Looking forward to hear your feedback
Tom
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Ubuntu 18.10