[Solved] Zipped up files created by virus? malware?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
inverhow

[Solved] Zipped up files created by virus? malware?

Post by inverhow »

SOLVED
 Edit: I HAVE PUT A DOT NEXT TO THE GREEN TICK AND WRITTEN THE WORD SOLVED. I HOPE THIS IS CORRECT BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS I'M SORRY. 
I have been using Open Office reasonably happily for a good while and use the spreadsheet for accounts etc mainly.
Yesterday I discovered that all my files were zipped and would not open no matter what I did. Did a Chat session with Apple Support who were unable to assist though they did suggest an app called RAR Extractor which would not work either. Afterwards I discovered a file called ZipDevil.dmg in my Downloads which I had definitely not put there. I did not know how to uninstall it so deleted it. I then down loaded a new copy of Open Office and everything seems to have gone back to normal but I must open my files from within Open Office now. I still can't open them by clicking on the listing in My Documents in Finder. I must start Open Office, ask for a Spreadsheet, then use the icon on the toolbar to get in to My Documents directory, select the file and click "open".
If I go to Finder and select My Documents and double click on a file to open it all that happens is a copy of the file name appears below it with a ZIP icon and nothing opens.
Norton Internet Security said there was a clash between two versions of Open Office and suggested contacting you. I only had one download of the program on the computer when this problem started and shouldn't the new version have uninstalled the old one?
I am not sure if this "bug" is still there or wether it's doing any damage. Any clues please????
Last edited by inverhow on Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4 on Mac OS 10.9.5
MrProgrammer

Re: Zipped up files created by virus? malware? Could not ope

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
inverhow wrote:shouldn't the new version have uninstalled the old one?
No, you can have multiple versions of Open Office (or both Open Office and Libre Office) installed on your Mac. Locate all of the versions of Open Office that you installed and drag them into the Trash. Removing an application does not affect any of your documents. Use Finder → File → Find → Search → This Mac → Kind → Application to locate any copies of Open Office that you may have missed.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 10.56.18 .png
Reinstall only from http://openoffice.org/download. Review the advice in OpenOffice 4.1.2 freezes on Mac.
inverhow wrote:I must open my files from within Open Office now. I still can't open them by clicking on the listing in My Documents in Finder.
Setting the default program for office formats - Mac OS X

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
inverhow

Re: Zipped up files created by virus? malware? Could not ope

Post by inverhow »

Thanks for your reply Mr Programmer. I'm relatively new to Mac computers and I can't rally get my head round the way things work at all.
Your instructions to Search for all versions of Open Office I have installed seemed to just turn up one version of Open Office installer plus all the documents I have written using it.
My present situation seems manageable so I think I'll just say the problem is solved . Thanks again.

Inverhow.
Open Office 4 on Mac OS 10.9.5