[Solved-Workaround] Repeat row heading across pages in table

Discuss the word processor
jbpark03

[Solved-Workaround] Repeat row heading across pages in table

Post by jbpark03 »

How may I repeat row heading(not column heading) across page break for one table row in an Open Office Writer table?
For example, if I had one row(heading description : "User introduction") in a table, how can I make the description automatically repeated on the second page and beyond?
---------------------------------------------------
User introduction | abc def ...
//////////// page break //////////////
User introduction | hij klm ...
---------------------------------------------------
Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open office 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Professional K, service pack 1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Repeating "row heading" across page break in a writer ta

Post by jrkrideau »

Perhaps just have the row heading in the first row and not have column headings or stick the column headings in with a frame on the first page (not tried)? I think my suggestion will give you empty cells on the following pages though. :(

On the other hand perhaps use a frame for the "row heading" on each page?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
jbpark03

Post by jbpark03 »

I tried the last suggestion of using a frame and it worked although I had to put a frame manually for each empty row heading. Thanks.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

jbpark03 wrote:I tried the last suggestion of using a frame and it worked although I had to put a frame manually for each empty row heading. Thanks.
Again something I have not tried but you might want to put the frame in the header and manually drag it to where you want it. I think it might repeat on each page.
jbpark03

Post by jbpark03 »

I tried your recent option. However, the header didn't repeat. I guess a frame is just a visual thing that stays on a table. One interesting thing is that the frame moves up and down in accordance with the content of 2nd column right next to the header. I appreciate your effort anyway.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

jbpark03 wrote:I tried your recent option. However, the header didn't repeat. I guess a frame is just a visual thing that stays on a table. One interesting thing is that the frame moves up and down in accordance with the content of 2nd column right next to the header. I appreciate your effort anyway.
It seems to work for me. See attached file. We may not be doing the same thing. I just did Insert > Frame > etc into the first header, that is, on the first page of the document.

I am not sure that it gives the result that you want but it is repeating.
Attachments
jbpark03ex1.odt
(16.32 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
jbpark03

Re: Repeating "row heading" across page break in a Writer ta

Post by jbpark03 »

Wow, your frame repeats on the top left corner of each page. Would it be possible to make a frame repeat on each row header when the row expands across more than a page?
Please see the attachment where I repeated a row heading "Row header 1" on the 2nd page manually. That it, I want to make the heading repeat automatically when the row height expands exceeding the page height.
Attachments
faked_repeat.odt
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I think so. Just put the frame in the header not in the body.

It is not obvious but that header in my example and in the attached on is not in the main body of the text. It is in the header and the header will repeat until you insert a new page style.

To see what I mean, start with a new file. Turn on the header, insert a frame into the header. Add a few pages with fake text (use dtF3 or whatever) and see what happens.
Attachments
faked_repeat.mod.odt
(10.93 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
jbpark03

Post by jbpark03 »

Dear Sir,
As I judge you really want to help me, let me ask my (wishful final) question using attachment. Please open up the *problem.odt file. Could you please modify it and make "text 2:" appear on the 3rd page instead of "text 1:" :?:
Attachments
faked_repeat.mod.problem.odt
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

jbpark03 wrote:Dear Sir,
As I judge you really want to help me, let me ask my (wishful final) question using attachment. Please open up the *problem.odt file. Could you please modify it and make "text 2:" appear on the 3rd page instead of "text 1:" :?:
I cannot do that since you have a second frame inserted independently on page 2

I can do a text 3 but note that the table is not continuous any more. I reduced the size of the original table and inserted a new table starting on Page 3. I think that is the best I can do. I had to insert a new page style (Called Next Style) for page 3 to allow me to use a new Frame in the Header on page 3.

See https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... age_styles for some general information on page styles.

At the moment this is pretty much a mess of a layout but it seems to be working. I am pretty sure that it is not optimal.
Attachments
problem.page3.odt
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 95 times