Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Not sure where to post? Post here!

Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Postby Wesley Pearce » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:45 am

Will Microsoft office users be able to edit OpenOffice documents ?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
Wesley Pearce

Re: Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:00 am

There is NOT 100% compatibility between the International Standard ODF formats and the many file format versions of the MSOffice. (Never was and never will.)

The LibreOffice (relatively to the Apache OpenOffice) has a little bit more compatibility with the foreign fileformats.

The newer versions of the MSO can open the ODF fileformats wit - some limitations. And the Libreoffice can export your Standard ODF documents to the half-standardized OOXML (xlsx, docx) formats. The AOO can not export OOXML fileformats today.
The binary fileformats of the MSO (xls, doc) never was standardized.

Use the native and standardized ODF fileformats, and please, suggest others to use them.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO5.3.7 on Win7x64Prof.
PortableApps, WinPenPack: LO3.3.0-LO5.4.2 and AOO4.1.3
Please, edit the topic's initial post, and add the word "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:53 am

Wesley Pearce wrote:Will Microsoft office users be able to edit OpenOffice documents ?

The latest MS Office supports OpenOffice documents (*.odt text and *.ods spreadsheets) fairly well.
All versions of MS Office since 1997 still support *.doc and *.xls perfectly well and OpenOffice exports these formats very well (but not perfectly well).
There are other products which are able to produce slightly better MS Office documents than OpenOffice but the one and only product that is designed for these file formats is MS Office itself. There is no product to replace MS Office for editing MS Office documents.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 16.04, OpenOffice 4.x & LibreOffice 5.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Edda » Mon May 23, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm not very computer literate and I need to know if it's possible, when attaching a document to an email, to enable it to arrive so that it can be altered by the recipient, not just " read only."
OpenOffice 4.1.2 installed on Microsoft Windows 10
Edda

Postby thomasjk » Mon May 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Edda wrote:I'm not very computer literate and I need to know if it's possible, when attaching a document to an email, to enable it to arrive so that it can be altered by the recipient, not just " read only."

Edda, did you mean to say "so it can't be altered"? If so then you can use File-->Send-->Email as PDF. Alternatively, you can use File-->Export as PDF then attach that file to an email.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1703 15063.540
LibreOffice 5.3.6
thomasjk
Volunteer

Postby jrkrideau » Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 am

Edda wrote:I'm not very computer literate and I need to know if it's possible, when attaching a document to an email, to enable it to arrive so that it can be altered by the recipient, not just " read only."

If you mean this
so that it can be altered by the recipient
and not thomasjk''s suggestion just sent it and suggest that the recipient save the file to disk before opening it.
LibreOffice 5.1.4.2 Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus"
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby keme » Tue May 24, 2016 11:22 pm

With collaboration on files using Word and Writer, some limitations should be applied to the use of formats and layout measures:
- Avoid "outdents" (negative indent, pulling content out into margin. Also tables and frames protruding into margin areas.)
- Do not use "containers in containers" (A table inside a table cell, frame inside frame) Table inside frame seems to work, if you must...
- Do not expect perfectly identical layout in both applications.
- Use ODF, not OOXML.

In my job I have had to build a template breaking all the rules above. Trying to do that with Word (saving as either doc,docx or odt) made a mess when opening in Writer. Using Writer and saving as doc produced similar garbage when opening with Word. Surprisingly, when I tried to open my odt file (no, I do not save an ott file because my colleagues do not properly understand the concept of "template"), it gives exactly what we were after, in Writer as well as in Word (as long as the stuff worked on in Word does not go back into Writer, of course...).

So, you could argue that Word has better support for reading the storage formats in question, or that Writer creates cleaner files when saving...
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:50 pm

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion, and for the reasons you should always work in and save files as .odt.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Lesley_Vos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:16 pm

That's why I prefer saving my texts in .doc or .docx formats for recipients to open and edit them. (Just go to File --> Save As..., and choose a format). I am a freelance writer using OpenOffice, but I can't be sure all my clients use it, either. There were some cases when I sent .odt files and clients asked to resend once again because they couldn't open and read those files on their comps...
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 8
Lesley_Vos

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

.doc is a safer format from OO when one _must_ send documents to others for collaborative work; there may be problems with formatting when a document is transferred back and forth. If a document is being sent for review (not editing) PDF is best.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Lesley_Vos wrote:
Edda wrote:I am a freelance writer using OpenOffice, but I can't be sure all my clients use it, either. There were some cases when I sent .odt files and clients asked to resend once again because they couldn't open and read those files on their comps...

All versions of MS Word later than about 2007 can open .odt files.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 pm

John_Ha wrote:All versions of MS Word later than about 2007 can open .odt files.

Indeed, John, but the majority of MS Office users have a mental block and won't even attempt to load any file other than .docx.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby Villeroy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:35 pm

RoryOF wrote:
John_Ha wrote:All versions of MS Word later than about 2007 can open .odt files.

Indeed, John, but the majority of MS Office users have a mental block and won't even attempt to load any file other than .docx.

The same majority works with hidden file name suffix. By the way, does anybody know which icons are displayed for ODF documents on a MS Office PC?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby keme » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Villeroy wrote:...
By the way, does anybody know which icons are displayed for ODF documents on a MS Office PC?

MS Office icons, of course.

When you reset the default application to OpenOffice (assuming both suites are installed), you get the OpenOffice icons.
MS Office updater seems to reset this every now and then, so occasionally have to redo...
keme
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:56 pm

keme wrote:MS Office icons, of course.

So they can't tell MS Office documents from ODF documents.

keme wrote:When you reset the default application to OpenOffice (assuming both suites are installed), you get the OpenOffice icons.
MS Office updater seems to reset this every now and then, so occasionally have to redo...

Like the Windows 10 updater resets the start menu to commercial mode, turns on the voice assistant (although the sound chip is disabled) and resets the default picture viewer to something inadequate.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby keme » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Villeroy wrote:...
keme wrote:When you reset the default application to OpenOffice (assuming both suites are installed), you get the OpenOffice icons.

Like the Windows 10 updater resets the start menu to commercial mode, turns on the voice assistant (although the sound chip is disabled) and resets the default picture viewer to something inadequate.

... and default PDF reader to Edge (which is also seriously flawed, not only as a PDF reader...). Yes, that is exactly how it happens. As long as users accept it, companies will do it. Most users accept the request to send anonymous usage data from the builtin apps, and Edge of course sends most everything to Bing by default. The value of big data, etc...
keme
Volunteer

Return to Beginners