[Solved] Where Have my Files Gone?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bbarkes5@msn.com

[Solved] Where Have my Files Gone?

Post by bbarkes5@msn.com »

After doing a document in OO,I carefully name it and save via Windiows Save As. When I go to the OO Start Page-Documents, and then click on Open, the Drop Down window shows the last 10 Documents I have bee working on exactly as named.

However a day or so later when I go to Documents via Windows 7, they are not there. . .but still show in the Drop Down window as above.

In other words, I can only find them in the OO Documents Drop Down menu.

This is a new development I used to be able to easily find them in Windows 7 Documents, and, in fact, the older ones are still there.

I (at age 86) must have made and 86 error, wrong key, command, whatever??!!?

Help! Thank you! Rapid Robert
Last edited by thomasjk on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Rapid Robert, Windows 7, Open Office 4.1.0
RoryOF

Re: Where Have my Files Gone?

Post by RoryOF »

The OpenOffice Documents dropdown you refer to is more correctly "Recent Documents"; the documents reference in that is to the actual files, not to a location on your computer. The reason you don't find them in Windows "My Documents" is because they are stored somewhere else, which the "Recent Documents" dropdown knows. If you look in the Recent Documents dropdown you will see that they are listed with a full file path; that file path should help you locate them outside OpenOffice, i.e. in Windows. Another way to do this is to make and save a small file with a unique name (fred,odt). Now use Windows file search to look for "fred.odt" and you'll have the required file path.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bbarkes5@msn.com

Thanks a bunch! Interesting information, new to me. Family coming tomorrow for the weekend. Will follow your explanation early next week. Thanks again! RR
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The thing to remember about the Save As dialog when creating new documents is that it will open in the last used folder, so it's a good idea to always check the Address Bar at the top of the Save As dialog. The Address Bar tells you where the document will be saved. If it's the wrong folder, use the Navigation pane on the left side to select the right folder before clicking "Save".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

bbarkes5@msn.com wrote:Thanks a bunch! Interesting information, new to me. Family coming tomorrow for the weekend. Will follow your explanation early next week. Thanks again! RR
If someone in the family has computer skills (a grandchild, perhaps?) best to get them to look over your shoulder while you sort this problem. As Bill says, OpenOffice is remembering where you last saved your files; you probably need to redirect it to the location you expect and it may be good to move the "lost" files back to that location.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bbarkes5@msn.com

Rory OF,

You are PERCEPIVE!!! Our granddaughter is here, and with her leading, and your input, all is OK. The "lost" files have been found, and are now in Folders I can easily access. . .plus, more importantly, I have learned about Folders, Files, and Sub files, so that (I think) there will be no more problems like this. Thanks a bunch to you. . . and note I have been to Ireland and the people (and Guiness) are good! RR