Dictionaries

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
paullyon

Dictionaries

Post by paullyon »

New User..
    I have upgraded to windows 10 but before this I had windows 8 which went to windows 8.1.
    Open office has been upgraded to 4.1.2 to latest version. I am yet to get the dictionaries [UK] to work with Text Document.

I am not a switched on PC user can some one tell me how to get the dictionary to work. I see by typing this auto correction works but why not on a document after F7. No dictionary there. My old XP and Open office worked a treat.
    Thanks, Paul Lyon New Zealand.
    OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
    RoryOF

Re: dictionaries

Post by RoryOF »

The usual starting point for spellcheck problems is to delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile. As you are using Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
    Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    paullyon

Re: Dictionaries

Post by paullyon »

I can read the English, Do not know what the quickstarter is? used file finder at find %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 to see where it was!! Could not find this file.
    Do not understand :' File Exployer Address bar and press enter' nor other instructions.

Can you supply step by step instructions.
    Cheers for New Zealand.

In word if I type Color it should come up as wrong spelling NZ is Colour. When I click ABC icon the dictionary pop up window is empty.

Paul.
    OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
    Bill
    Volunteer

Post by Bill »

paullyon wrote:I can read the English, Do not know what the quickstarter is? used file finder at find %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 to see where it was!! Could not find this file.
    Do not understand :' File Exployer Address bar and press enter' nor other instructions.

Can you supply step by step instructions.
    Cheers for New Zealand.

In word if I type Color it should come up as wrong spelling NZ is Colour. When I click ABC icon the dictionary pop up window is empty.

Paul.
    What is "file finder"? %appdata%\openoffice\4 is an address, not a file. File Explorer is the name of the file manager in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It has a box near the top called the Address Bar. Type or paste an address in the Address Bar then press the Enter key and File Explorer will go to the address and display what's in that location. In this case, paste %appdata%\openoffice\4 in the Address bar, then press the Enter key. You should see the "user" folder which contains your user profile.
    AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
    Doobs

Post by Doobs »

My spellcheck was saying every word was spelled wrong when in actuality they were ALL spelled right. This fix was easy and worked perfectly for me. Thanks.
    OpenOffice 4.1.2