Password

Talk about anything at all....
BurtM1

Password

Post by BurtM1 »

Im a newbie using open office and trying to import a pdf from my puter and it is asking for password which I have no idea...Please help..thanks :D
Open Office 4.1.1
RoryOF

Re: Password

Post by RoryOF »

PDF files are best viewed in a dedicated application, usually Adobe Reader. OpenOffice is not designed for reading or editing PDF files; it can do very minor editing of such files if a certain extension is installed, but even with that extension cannot do serious re-editing of PDF files. In addition, PDF files can be constructed so that they are password protected, so it is quite possible that the file you are trying to access is in fact password protected.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BurtM1

Post by BurtM1 »

Thank you for your quick reply.
I downloaded a document to edit so I assume it is protected.

I am trying to get a "Purchase of Partnership Interest Agreement" that I can fill in or modify. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Open Office 4.1.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

If it is in PDF format, there probably is not way to edit it without something like Adobe Acrobat or a similar PDF editor.

To just fill it in, you should be able to find a PDF viewer that will allow you to do this. I think the Adobe Acrobat one is likely to work.

I am not really sure what "protected" means in terms of a PDF though it may mean that you cannot copy the text.

If it is not to large a document it might just be easier to redo it from scratch in AOO.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@John_Ha: from memory (and I'm not 100% certain) one can password a PDF file so it cannot be opened for viewing without the password. When generating a PDF file one can set it so that content cannot be copied from it, and so that it cannot be printed. I am not certain if these two options can be over-ridden with an appropriate password.

I am fairly certain that such passwording and restriction of the PDF file depends on the facilities available in the application generating it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS