Get Install CD...

Not sure where to post? Post here!
sonepoxy2015
Banned

Get Install CD...

Post by sonepoxy2015 »

I want to know if there is anywhere I can buy Install CD/DVD for LibreOffice or OpenOffice? I ask because I have a friend that is institutionalized that would like to try Open-Source but homemade CD/DVD are not allowed. He can have MS Office installed from production CD/DVD but it is too expensive.

If no one currently makes CD/DVD for LibreOffice or OpenOffice what would I need to doing so?
OpenOffice 3.1
SPAM links removed from banned user by MrProgrammer
Mr.Dandy

Re: Get Install CD...

Post by Mr.Dandy »

CDs/DVDs are not available from Apache. See this: http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/
Not possible right now
OpenOffice 4.1.12 - Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I don't know about LibreOffice, but OpenOffice can be installed to a flash/USB drive and run from there, or the installation can be copied to a flash/USB drive and then installed from there to a computer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

sonepoxy2015 wrote:I want to know if there is anywhere I can buy Install CD/DVD for LibreOffice or OpenOffice? I ask because I have a friend that is institutionalized that would like to try Open-Source but homemade CD/DVD are not allowed. He can have MS Office installed from production CD/DVD but it is too expensive.

If no one currently makes CD/DVD for LibreOffice or OpenOffice what would I need to doing so?
Well, you would have to check the GPL license fairly closely but, IIRC, in general there is no limit on commercial or non-commercial distribution of the software as long as it is not modified.

I would think that all you really would need to do is print up some fancy labels with your company name, etc., paste them on the CD's ( check how to form a company or incorporate in your jurisdiction---I think it's about $300-$500 in my province) and bob's your uncle. Oh and check what copyright applies to the AOO logo etc.

Even the company formation may be optional but the security people in a corrections' institution or prison 'should' check these things so a real company is a good idea.

In fact, it might turn into a nice little money maker with other inmates. :) Cost of CD + $5 a pop?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Some libraries have a magazines section. Do you have a public library nearby? See if there is a copy of some computer mag that says "OpenOffice on CD". You most likely have to ask the librarian for the disc. Explain the situation and you may get lucky. With even more luck there may be a magazine on sale now with the software on it. (Make sure you get a Windows mag. Most likely that's the platform your friend must use.)

Or you could explain the current state of affairs to the personnel at the institution: Even Microsoft Office defaults to downloading the software installer. Many shops only have packages with the software key (no disc), and you need internet access to install.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10