[Solved] Import photo, print repair form and repair ticket

Discuss the database features
kset51

[Solved] Import photo, print repair form and repair ticket

Post by kset51 »

I have a watch repair shop and am looking for something that will allow me to make and use and print a customer take in form. I need to be able to import a photo of repair item, print a repair form for shop use, and repair ticket for customer. Do I make a template and import into database or do I do something else? I am not sure where to start.
Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: What do I use?
Open Office 3.2.0 on Windows XP
RusselB

Re: What do I use

Post by RusselB »

A database is where I would go with this, The only part that I'm not sure of is the ability to import a picture into a database.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MTP
Volunteer

Re: What do I use

Post by MTP »

If you want to be able to track your history, a database is the best option.

If you just want a one-time use form to print (and save, if needed, although then only the filename would be searchable - nothing like the thorough search and reporting capabilities of a database) then a spreadsheet template would suffice and would be much easier to set up.

Base can definitely handle photos, either embedded inside the database or with the database having a link to the file. If you're interested in the database route, a good place to start is by reading about "normalization". It's a kind of weird concept but necessary to set up tables, which is the first step in making a database. Once you have the tables, then you'll make a database form that stores information into and reads information from the tables - this form will be what you print out. The learning curve in Base is (unfortunately) pretty steep and you'll probably need to work through a few tutorials before starting your own project.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database