[Solved] Viewing xml documents

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
jhculbert

[Solved] Viewing xml documents

Post by jhculbert »

I exported a chart of data (it looked like a spreadsheet with rows and columns of data) from a website, and it arrived on my desktop in xml format. I tried to open it using Open Office 4.0, but I got an error saying "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice." Is this something I can easily do, and if so how? Or, is there an easier way to view this data on my computer? I was hoping it would just import into a spreadsheet. Thx.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
RusselB

Re: Viewing xml documents

Post by RusselB »

Installing Java is very easy. It's (almost) foolproof. Start by going to http://www.java.com and click the red button marked Free Java Download
If you aren't sure if you have Java already or not, then use the [url=http://java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp[Do I have Java?[/url] link first.
No sense in downloading Java if you already have it.

As to importing the data into a spreadsheet, you can try opening Calc, then using File -> Open to open the .xml file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Remember that OpenOffice, being a 32 bit application, on Windows needs a 32 bit Java installed and selected in /Tools /options /OpenOffice : Java, even if you are using a 64 bit Windows. The 32 bit Java will have 586 in its name on the Java site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

jhculbert wrote:I exported a chart of data ... in xml format. I tried to open it using Open Office 4.0, but I got an error saying "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. ...
Give it a try, but as I understand it, OO has limited capability to do anything with arbitrary xml data.

Unless you have the specialized code (more xml) needed to transform the xml data into an OO document (a spreadsheet, for example), then OO won't be able to open the xml data. The transform requires Java to run, but you also need the extra bit that tells how to transform the xml data into an OO document. Depending on what the xml data looks like, it may not be too difficult to create the transform but it surely won't be worth it for a one-off task.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jhculbert

Post by jhculbert »

Thanks for the three kind replies, but unfortunately they are all different options/results. I decided to choose the one suggesting I download Java. RusselB said it was easy. HAH! I went to the Java site to see if I had Java already installed. Nothing happened, so I assumed that I didn't have it. I downloaded jre-8u40-macosx-x64.gmg for my iMac, and when I tried to install it I get the error message that says, "A newer version of Java is already installed. You are trying to install 1.8.40.27, however 14.9.0 is already installed." I cannot find Java on my computer. Nor does opening my xml file using OpenOffice work, because I get the same message as before, asking that I install JRE. So, I'm about ready to give up on this very complex task of viewing an xml file unless anyone has some good ideas on how to proceed. Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.2.0
Mac OS X 10.6.4
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Backchecking some other similar posts, I found a reference to a tutorial at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69896&p=312085#p312085
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jhculbert

Post by jhculbert »

I read the info. in the tutorial, and it doesn't apply to my situation. I have a iMac, and I cannot download Java v. 8 because I already have Java v. 14 installed. I do not know how to change this. OO will not open my xml file because it cannot find Java on my computer. I'm stuck unless I can get this situation changed, somehow. Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.2.0
Mac OS X 10.6.4
acknak

Post by acknak »

I would suggest that you ask on the Mac area of the forum how to get OO to use Java. I think you need someone who knows OO on the Mac.

Mac Install/Setup: viewforum.php?f=17

PS: Don't expect success. My OO has Java and it cannot open arbitrary xml files.

If you want a test, put the xml file into a zip archive and attach it here. I expect someone can try it for you.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Perhaps you just need to enable Java in the OpenOffice → Preferences → Java dialog. Here's what it looks for Mac OS X 10.9.5:
Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 21.21.47 .png
There are plenty of posts in the forum about Java for Mac. Read through them until you find one that applies to your situation. I used to run Mac OS X 10.6; I know it had Java; I think it came pre-installed by Apple. I'm not an expert in this area; you may know as much about it as I do.

I'll be surprised if Java helps any with opening your XML file with Open Office. My advice is to keep your expectations low.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jhculbert

Post by jhculbert »

This was a helpful reply. I went to OO and found no Java enabled, then tried to add it, but it could not be found as shown in the Location shown in the screen shot. I peruse the Java for Mac forum next.
OpenOffice 3.2.0
Mac OS X 10.6.4