[Solved] Asiatic letters/signs appear in Danish text

Discuss the word processor
larsalb

[Solved] Asiatic letters/signs appear in Danish text

Post by larsalb »

In Danish text there appears asiatic signs/letters which each replace two letters.
How to stop asiatic signs to appear within Western texts?
I have tried to find help in Danish Help section, but it was not uptodate. For instance Help pages talked about activating asiatic formatting, which isn't possible in the version of OpenOffice I use.
Hoping for some help.
Have a nice day.
lars :D :?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: asiatic letters/signs appear in Danish text

Post by RoryOF »

Would you please post a short sample file (not a picture). The upload button is below the submit button on the PostReply or Ful; Editor screens,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

Sorry, I can't, because I don't have a text with these signs, as I replaced them.
They appeared after having closed Writer and reopened the text file. Each sign replaces two letters in a row, of which one is one of the three special Danish letters - æ, ø, å.
I have tried to save the file and reopen, but now the asiatic signs don't reappear. Strange?? I wonder, if I should restart Windows and then Writer?
acknak

Post by acknak »

It sounds like you've saved your document as a text file.

If you do that, you have to be careful when you open the file again, that you select the same character encoding that was used when you saved the file. If you use different encodings you can get wildly different characters when the file is opened.

The safest approach is to always save your work in OOo's native ODF format (.odt for text). You can always export a copy to plain text if necessary.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

Yes, I use RFT-format, because I need that format in order to make import into a Folio Views database. But I will follow your advice, and convert the text into ODF format. And when I need to import it, then make a RTF file from it.

What do you mean by "character encoding"? I use a Danish version of Writer, so I need to know where to find this feature. Could you tell me in which Menu it appears?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RTF format (note the letter order) is a bad format to use from OpenOffice - OpenOffice really does not support it well; Work in .odt format, then try /File /Save as and select RTF format from the dropdown. It is possible that your entire file will not save. In that case you may have to break your .odt file into pieces and convert each individually to RTF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

:D Thank you, RoryOF and acknak, for your help. It is a pleasure to receive so quick and competent help.

Have a nice day. Regards
larsalb, denmark.